HOD and homeschool dads

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bekelly12

HOD and homeschool dads

Post by bekelly12 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:32 am

I am what is most assuredly the rare breed that is the homeschool dad. I have 2 young children, one of whom is soon to be starting preK. I have spent months researching curriculum and have not made any real progress. We tried the P2/3 program from sonlight which was okay but it was not conservative or bible based enough for our family. I also looked very closely at BJU but I work outside of the home and do not see how I could ever do 2 traditional classroom programs at the same time.

HOD appears to be bible-centric which is important to us. I looked at the preK and K previews and it seems many of the learning activities are crafty and dramatic which is not necessarily in this dad's wheelhouse which makes me slightly nervous but the most important things to us are finding something bible-centered, academically challenging, and socially and politically conservative. Is HOD a good fit for our family?

Thank you for all of your help!!!

Kims

Re: HOD and homeschool dads

Post by Kims » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am

Sounds like it might be.
And honestly I am a homeschool mom and crafty and dramatic is not my thing. We very seldom get something crafty done. I wish I was more but I am not and have learned to live with that. I still use HOD I just skip when it's overwhelming for me.

We have two homeschool dads in our local homeschool group and they do a great job. One is always making up neat inventions and including his children.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:11 pm

Bible-centric is one of the main reasons I chose HOD. We used it for 2.5 years, and then I had to take a break to deal with some math and reading issues my dd had. She has dyslexia. After getting some specialized instruction, and working with that for a while, I came to a point where I felt I was ready to go back to what used to be our norm. Even during those special programs, I knew I was still being drawn back to HOD. Not only is the Bible first and foremost in my choosing curriculum, but I really appreciate how Carrie has everything written out and planned for me. There are wonderful book choices in HOD, and you will find that it is not time-consuming like a traditional method would be. Many who are working in the upper guides will confirm that, academically, HOD is very sound.

A few years ago, Julie wrote in one of the threads(I can't find it right now) that Carrie was asked if she would write some guides without the Bible. Even though she could make more money by doing that, Carrie refused, because publishing these guides is a ministry. There have been testimonies of children coming to Christ through the Bible that is taught in these guides. The character training is excellent. HOD really can make a spiritual impact in the lives of our children. :D
Last edited by psreit on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:05 pm

HOD would fit your criteria for sure. My husband is a busy substitute teacher because I work and I can tell you HOD can work for the dad that isn't so sure about the crafts/drama. My husband didn't do as well in the first 2 guides with those boxes, but now that we are in the older guides he does great with the activity boxes. I would say just do the best you can, but try to do the activities because they are building skills. When you get into HOD your realize how each guide is slowly building and adding skills in a very congruent way.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:30 pm

May I chime in too... Yes Yes YES, HOD could fit your needs very nicely. It is Bible centered, conservative, classically founded. I am impressed more and more as I go through in the literature that is used and the high standard of virtue that is held up within the readings we are doing (along with the fact that the Bible is such a huge part of all we do, and even what little questionable topics that may come up, Carrie has written in discussion that leads you back to God's word where you can see the falsehood that is in our culture).

The first 2-3 guides are "dramatic" and "crafty" to be sure. The crafts grow into art, real quality art, which is something I never learned nor was I encouraged in. I am so glad my girls, who seem to enjoy it a lot, are able to learn this even in spite of my lack of interest or skill in it. The drama I have discovered helps little ones remember and understand what they are learning. Also in LHTH, the preschool guide, character is developed by play-acting situations and talking with the child about what is right to do in a situation and what is wrong. Again, this is not necessarily my favorite, and I do confess to skipping over a lot of it my first time through. But now my 2nd time through LHTH (and am on my 2nd time through Beyond Little Hearts which is the 3rd guide) I do not skip it and I think it fills everything in so nicely.

Another thing to keep in mind for you, as it sounds like you are also working, is that LHTH and LHFHG take very little time to do each day (20-25 minutes and 60 minutes respectively). Each guide does increase the workload, and from what I read on here Bigger Hearts and Preparing Hearts are the most teacher-intensive in terms of requiring the most attention and time from the parent. Then the child moves into more independent work, while you still discuss with them each day, your time commitment starts to decrease after those guides. Sonlight, from what I have seen from friends who do it, is much more time commitment and teacher-intensive for longer.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven