Anyone leave MFW to come here to HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 pm

With dd#1 (will be 9 yo this summer), I used part of MFW 1st, MFW Adventures, and MFW ECC (well, we stopped early to move on over here - lol)..

With dd#2, she's 6 yo now, I did MFW K...we dropped it only half way through.

Both my girls are in HOD now (LHFHG adn BHFHG).

I wanted a Christian curriculum that was planned out for me. I found MFW, and it did that so I went with it. 1st was nice, Adventures was good...but ECC was a bit of torture for us. It got pretty boring. Each day is the same, not much variety in the type of work you do from week to week. Worksheets get quite dull when you do the same type of thing over and over again.

Naturally I was looking into getting MFW CTG, not even thinking of changing curriculums...and the books just didn't appeal to me. Then I met Meg, lovetobehome, on here when buying used curriculums. When she found out about HOD, she told me...and we both journeyed through getting hooked on HOD together. It was great - not only did I find the perfect curriculum for my children and family...a wonderful answer to much prayer...I found a friend as well!

HOD pulls the Bible into it's subjects more. The subjects are loosely related to each other carrying over themes and subject matter. HOD does this a ton more than MFW ever did as far as our experience with MFW goes.

My 8 yo says she likes both programs. However, when we did MFW it was a struggle each day to get our work done. Dd complained, whined, stalled, etc. With HOD, she wakes up excited to start school, rushes me to get going, and not a single complaint about any of her subjects. Since each day is not the same thing over and over again like MFW is...she's eager to see what's around the bend.

My 6 yo...her work in MFW K was only about 1/2 hr to 45 min. max. Half of that time was tough for her, just to get her to do anything. Now in HOD, she's doing school work 2-3x as long as what MFW was...and I don't have to push her to do stuff like I did with MFW. Again...lots of different things to do and not the same thing week after week.

HOD's guides/manuals have more helps and support for the parent, I think, and in a more user friendly format.

Just my $0.02
Last edited by Tabitha on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:50 pm

lovetobehome - hey girlie! I need to call ya so we can chat about our weeks and see how each other is doing (well, the kids - lol)!

Enjoyed the post, too!

Leslie in TN

Great post, Meg...

Post by Leslie in TN » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:04 am

Hey, Meg.. (lovetobehome)

What a fantastic post! If I'd only been a lot more eloquent, that's exactly what I would've said to YOU a couple of months back! :lol:

I am SO thrilled that you're enjoying HOD! We can't wait to start in August.

Leslie in TN

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:32 am

Ah, posts by my two favorite mamas! Leslie is the one who introduced me to HOD when I responded to a FS ad she had up, and Tabitha happened to inquire about some math materials that I had for sale, when I gave her an earful about HOD! A little reunion here!!! Hugs to you both!!!

annegirl1919

Post by annegirl1919 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:15 am

i didn't really 'leave' mfw because i only used it for one year and never planned to use it all the way through, but i definitely feel that hod fits me and my daughter better than mfw.

(we are just finishing up k. most of it we dropped or adjusted. just did the weekly science units.)
wife to jaret '98
foster mom to andie '93
mom to aviah '01
mom to smith '04
mom to faye '08

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:28 am

I personally would not worry about switching back to MFW and the whole cycle thing. I know it is hard not to, but God will guide you no matter what. I have planned out our entire k-12 education a zillion times, and each time I do, it gets changed anyway, so I have given that up. I won't be the same person tomorrow, and neither will my children, but God will be, and He will always lead us where He would have us go. If He leads you to HOD today, and back to MFW tomorrow then it would be for a reason. One day's trouble is enough, and we have no idea what is in store for us tomorrow, but if we are faithful to follow Him this day, He will never lead us astray, so we can be sure we are right where we belong, in His will!
That was so beautifully said and something that God has been impressing on my heart so much lately. Thanks!
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:58 am

pjdobro wrote:
I personally would not worry about switching back to MFW and the whole cycle thing. I know it is hard not to, but God will guide you no matter what. I have planned out our entire k-12 education a zillion times, and each time I do, it gets changed anyway, so I have given that up. I won't be the same person tomorrow, and neither will my children, but God will be, and He will always lead us where He would have us go. If He leads you to HOD today, and back to MFW tomorrow then it would be for a reason. One day's trouble is enough, and we have no idea what is in store for us tomorrow, but if we are faithful to follow Him this day, He will never lead us astray, so we can be sure we are right where we belong, in His will!
That was so beautifully said and something that God has been impressing on my heart so much lately. Thanks!
Yes, very true.

Coming from a WTM background...then MFW...it's so easy to get caught up in that. I don't think it needs to be that stressful, trying to follow that cycle. You can aways cater a program to get things in in different times that what others do, kwim? I've seen so many people let following a cycle rotation make them miserable...and I could do without that added stress.

It's hard just to let go, and turn it all over to the Lord. But when we do, it's wonderful! He will work it all out for us, if we just let Him.

Busymomma1

Re: Anyone leave MFW to come here to HOD?

Post by Busymomma1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for keeping these up on the board. It is sooo helpful as I've been mulling over MFW, SL, WP etc. I especially appreciate the detailed post by lovetobehome. Awesome! I might print it out to keep me focused! :D
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)