Newer LHFHG book compared to older from 2004

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TyraTooters

Newer LHFHG book compared to older from 2004

Post by TyraTooters » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm

I've got a friend willing to loan me her Little Hearts guide, I remember reading about an update for this, found it, and it was only one little thing. Is this correct? Is the 2004 Little Hearts the same as the one that's available for purchase on the HOD website currently? Silly question but I'd just like to know...I like to keep up with other blogs/people on groups doing the same thing! :D

StephanieU

Re: Newer LHFHG book compared to older from 2004

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 pm

There are two areas of difference:
Fine Motor Skills
Math
Both of these are because the items in the 2004 edition are no longer in print. The Fine Motor Skills is pretty easy to fix, and it might only be the 1st grade suggestions actually. The guide only lists page numbers, so you would just need to adjust as needed for the books you get. Math is a big change and the reason for the new edition. But, if you aren't using Singapore Essentials for math, it wouldn't be a problem. If you want to use Singapore Essentials and want the hands on activities Carrie has created, then you will need a new guide.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TyraTooters

Post by TyraTooters » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:44 pm

For fine motor skills I'll be using the first grade options of Going on Eagerly and Just Thinking & Choosing and will be using Singapore 1a & 1b.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Then you can probably use the 2004 guide. The pages won't be perfect for the fine motor skills, but really, it isn't a big deal. If you finish both books early, you can just do something else.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)