high school help?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenn in nc

high school help?

Post by jenn in nc » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello,
We are going to be using HOD guides for all of our kids at various levels beginning this fall (I'm so excited to have "found" HOD again after many years!!), except for my 11th grade son. I am so unsure about what to use for him and thought someone here might have an idea or some advice.

He has a credit in American history from his 9th grade year, and a credit in Gov't and Econ from his 10th grade year. This year he needs a World History credit and it would be best if it was a Modern World history because his American history only went through WWI.

I considered trying to beef up MTMM (I'm going to be using this for my current 9th grade son this year) but my 11th grader has already read so many of the books that I really don't see how that could work. I would love for him to use the World Geography guide with extensions but I don't think that would meet his need for history.

I know there must be many of you here who love HOD for your younger kids but have had to find something for your upper high school kids... Any thoughts at all would be so appreciated.

Thanks!
Jenn, mom to 10

StephanieU

Re: high school help?

Post by StephanieU » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:14 pm

So, the next guide (officially the 10th grade guide) will be world history. So, could you hold off on world history until next year? You could do geography this year (using the new guide) or US history if he only covered part of that (either MtMM or Rev to Rev maybe - or even a combo of those two). I looked at the NC state requirements (guessing that is where you are from by your name), and all that is required is three credits :civics and economics (done), US history (done), and world history. The new rules will include 4 credits for this year's freshman, adding in 2 years of US History OR another course if they take something equivalent to AP US History.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:03 pm

You know, that's a good thought actually... the new NC guidelines don't technically apply to him because of the date that he entered 9th grade, but I think it would still be good for his transcript to reflect the new system. So then this year could be modern American history, and he could do the HOD World History next year. Yay! I like that idea. :)

I guess it would probably be too much for him to do both a modern American course and also do the World Geography guide this year?
Jenn, mom to 10

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:19 pm

How much of the US history is he missing? You said he has read some of the MtMM titles, so it might be possible. As written, the history/left side of the guide takes about 2 hours each day (4 days a week). We are no where near there though.

As for transcript, some states require geography instead of the second year of US History. So, as far as transcripts go, I think colleges aren't picky about which one students have completed. Basically, they will just be happy to see four years of social studies split well over the possible topics.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)