Start LHFHG or Wait

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Start LHFHG or Wait

Post by glperky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I have a 5 yo DS (6 in Nov.) who is ready for LHFHG 1st grade except for Math and handwriting. I also have a 7 yo (8 in Dec.) who will be staring Beyond. I have read that it is best not to do guides back to back. With that in mind, should I hold off on starting the 5 yo in LHFHG until the Fall of 2014? Or is there an other option to spread them out? I have also thought of and Julie suggested maybe doing Bigger at half spread with my 7 yo and that would space them out. However, my 7 yo doesn't really like school (he rafher be playing) and I think maybe doing Beyond might help that issue. I would love any help you can offer. Thank you! :D
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

StephanieU

Re: Start LHFHG or Wait

Post by StephanieU » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:50 pm

What about half speed? Maybe do the fine motor skills and math as scheduled, starting with where he is in K? Then split the rest of the boxes over two days. You could keep going with reading everyday too, as it is never bad to have them ahead on reading skills. If at some point you wanted to go more full speed through LHFHG, then you could slow down a little in Beyond when you start that to spread them out, so LHFHG and Beyond together take 3+ years.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:04 pm

What is your sense with this LO? Do you think he will be bored and not challenged if you hold off or just stick to a few things with him instead of doing a whole guide? How do you feel about doing LHFHG with him along with Beyond? Those are some things I would consider when making that decision. You can certainly wait and use LHFHG with 1st grade options for next year instead of using LHFHG this year.

I believe there are two reasons for not doing back-to-back guides. One is teacher burnout. You end up doing the guide 2 years in a row. The other is that Bigger Hearts and Preparing Hearts are both very teacher-intensive guides and take a lot of your time. So that year would be a hard one for you. You are training the child to become independent, plus the work expected of them is just a lot greater by then.

BUT then there's the possibility that you could combine them later on if the younger one progresses, or if you figure out how to fill in a year or even 1/2 a year to let the younger one catch up. Use extensions with the older one. So maybe proceeding is the best thing to do. I think, the Lord obviously knows where your kids are at and where they will be, and He says He gives us wisdom when we ask, so you should ask! I have seen God answer many prayers for wisdom as I have asked Him.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:09 pm

I think the biggest thing with back to back guides is the time factor later down the road-when you're doing Bigger and Preparing, for instance...or even Beyond and Bigger is a chunk of time committment for you. Often if the kids place best in back to back guides it can work well to combine them together. Would it be a possibility to put your kids together in LHFHG? You can pull in the right side options from Beyond so that he's challenged enough in LA and Math areas. If this is not a workable option for your family I do like the idea of beginning LHFHG half speed with your youngest-I did that this past year with my 5yo in Kindergarten, and it was a perfect pacing for him. Another thing you might consider is to move forward with both guides full speed for this year, and then next year to put one of the kids half speed (with the older one half pace it would work toward eventually combining them or with the younger one half pace it would work toward spacing the kids/guides apart further.)

I don't think I would personally hold off on your 5 yo, though, just to avoid running back to back guides. Give them what they each need now, and if the problem arises (of you not being able to keep up) you'll probably be able to better gague how to best correct it.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

glperky

Post by glperky » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:42 pm

mom23 wrote:I think the biggest thing with back to back guides is the time factor later down the road-when you're doing Bigger and Preparing, for instance...or even Beyond and Bigger is a chunk of time committment for you. Often if the kids place best in back to back guides it can work well to combine them together. Would it be a possibility to put your kids together in LHFHG? You can pull in the right side options from Beyond so that he's challenged enough in LA and Math areas. If this is not a workable option for your family I do like the idea of beginning LHFHG half speed with your youngest-I did that this past year with my 5yo in Kindergarten, and it was a perfect pacing for him. Another thing you might consider is to move forward with both guides full speed for this year, and then next year to put one of the kids half speed (with the older one half pace it would work toward eventually combining them or with the younger one half pace it would work toward spacing the kids/guides apart further.)

I don't think I would personally hold off on your 5 yo, though, just to avoid running back to back guides. Give them what they each need now, and if the problem arises (of you not being able to keep up) you'll probably be able to better gague how to best correct it.

Thank you for thanks for the input ladies. I'll take more if anyone has any.

Becky- I would like to combind them but my 7 yr. has done most of LHFHG.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!