new to HOD and homeschooling - need confirmation and advice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rcarp74

new to HOD and homeschooling - need confirmation and advice

Post by rcarp74 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi- I am a new homeschooler this year and I have pretty much decided that HOD is the route I want to go for my daughter. I do have a few questions that I was hoping to get help.
I have 3 children.....oldest girl is 8 and just finished 2nd grade at a private Christian school. I also have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I have read and believe my oldest to be a fit for the Bigger Hearts program. She reads at a 4th grade level but has trouble with reading comprehension. She reads chapter books very easy. I want to make sure I am placing her in the right program though. I have read some posts that Beyond is a great program too to start and I could supplement with extensions or some other things if it were too easy. As well, not sure what to do about the reading program. I think she could read the books in the DITHOR no problem
however she is not naturally drawn to books unless I tell her to read. Once she starts reading, I think she enjoys it but she doesn't pick up a book to read "just because."
So wondering if I should start at the emerging readers level? As well, since this is my first year teaching, I want to go slow and take my time so not sure if that would mean anything in relation to choosing a program. At the school she attended, most all of the work they did was A Beka and then Saxon for math. They did do a few unit studies which I know she enjoyed. I also have a question about the science and lang arts that goes with the program (I already have math chosen). I know all of the subjects work together so it might be best to get what is recommended with the program the first year....that being said, I do like the Apologia curriculum for science. But wonder if I should wait on that until I see how this first year goes? maybe both of us will end up liking the science. And I don't know much about the lang arts-- I still need to do some research on the Preparing to Build that HOD uses and some others that I may use instead. Any tips here?
I just want to make sure of these things before I place my order. I don't know enough or feel confident enough to just do what I feel. I would rather have experienced advice.
Thanks so much for all help and advice!

4Hispraise

Re: new to HOD and homeschooling - need confirmation and adv

Post by 4Hispraise » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:39 am

Welcome to HOD & homeschooling! It is a wonderful adventure. As for placement, if you think after studying the placement chart (you could even print out the first week of plans for Bigger and Beyond to study) that your daughter would be correctly placed in Bigger, then that is the place to start. If you want, you could always ease in to school going half-paced (meaning, you complete half of day one on Monday and the remainder on Tuesday, etc.) until everyone adjusts to school. The first few weeks of every new school year are the bumpiest! :D

For reading comprehension, DITHOR is a great resource. We had similar reading comprehension issues with one of our children & he grew tremendously through this resource. I think that I would start with that and the 2/3 book pack. The books Carrie picks are excellent and engaging. And just for a little encouragement, my ds did not pick up a book just for the joy of reading until he was almost ten. Even though he was reading far beyond his grade level, it was just too much work to enjoy! Now, at nearly fourteen, he reads hours on end! :D

For science, having used Apologia and HOD resources, I would recommend sticking with what the guide schedules...especially for your first year of homeschooling. Apologia books are excellent, and we have enjoyed them. Yet, I am so thankful for the outstanding resources Carrie has carefully scheduled. Using HOD science keeps balance in the school day and helps it flow smoothly in the younger years. In addition, great hands-on activities and experiments are scheduled. Of course, if you choose something else, it will easily work with HOD.

As far as grammar, you can easily choose your own program or use what HOD schedules. Really, there are a lot of great grammar programs out there, but Rod and Staff is top-notch. We have used HOD for the last four years, but just switched to the recommended grammar last year. I discovered that we were really missing out, not just on a great grammar program, but on a God-focused one. So thankful that Carrie introduced our family to R&S! :D

Praying God's wisdom for you as you seek what is best for your dear children!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:02 am

Since this is your first year homeschooling and you have additional little ones, keep it simple! Just use the guides as written (or half-speed). If you find you don't like the science or LA after a few weeks/months, you can always supplement. But, don't make more work for yourself. Also, you might want to consider ordering LHTH (Little Hands to Heaven) for your younger two. You could do that half speed for preschool with both together. It only take 30 minutes a day at full speed, and it would give them some school work "like big sister."
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 am

You will love HOD! This will be our 5th year homeschooling (and 5th year using HOD), and HOD is wonderful. I would also recommend sticking to the HOD guide and using what is recommended, not changing anything or adding anything extra. We have thoroughly enjoyed it and feel our children are receiving a top-notch education. As this is your fist year, I would recommend just relaxing and following the plans as they are laid out. Give it a full year and you will see the blessings and enjoy the curriculum recommended! We used Bigger for our 3rd graders. DITHOR is wonderful, yet it is a bit more labor-intensive than Emerging Readers. If you are concerned about the time or it being too much this year, stick with ER. The books are terrific and the questions are thought-provoking! You'll enjoy either one! Blessings are you start your new adventure! ;)
Meredith
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm

rcarp74 wrote:Hi- I am a new homeschooler this year and I have pretty much decided that HOD is the route I want to go for my daughter. I do have a few questions that I was hoping to get help.
I have 3 children.....oldest girl is 8 and just finished 2nd grade at a private Christian school. I also have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I have read and believe my oldest to be a fit for the Bigger Hearts program. She reads at a 4th grade level but has trouble with reading comprehension. She reads chapter books very easy. I want to make sure I am placing her in the right program though. I have read some posts that Beyond is a great program too to start and I could supplement with extensions or some other things if it were too easy. As well, not sure what to do about the reading program. I think she could read the books in the DITHOR no problem
however she is not naturally drawn to books unless I tell her to read. Once she starts reading, I think she enjoys it but she doesn't pick up a book to read "just because."
So wondering if I should start at the emerging readers level? As well, since this is my first year teaching, I want to go slow and take my time so not sure if that would mean anything in relation to choosing a program. At the school she attended, most all of the work they did was A Beka and then Saxon for math. They did do a few unit studies which I know she enjoyed. I also have a question about the science and lang arts that goes with the program (I already have math chosen). I know all of the subjects work together so it might be best to get what is recommended with the program the first year....that being said, I do like the Apologia curriculum for science. But wonder if I should wait on that until I see how this first year goes? maybe both of us will end up liking the science. And I don't know much about the lang arts-- I still need to do some research on the Preparing to Build that HOD uses and some others that I may use instead. Any tips here?
I just want to make sure of these things before I place my order. I don't know enough or feel confident enough to just do what I feel. I would rather have experienced advice.
Hi rcarp74, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D The ladies here are so helpful, as you can see already from these great responses! :D I have a few quick questions for you, to help you choose between Beyond and Bigger Hearts...
- What are some books dd has read lately, that are at a comfortable reading level for her independently?
- Can you share about your dd's writing? When looking at this description by HOD's author, Carrie, comparing the writing in Beyond and Bigger, which fits her better?
As far as choosing between "Beyond.." and "Bigger..." goes, the amount of writing varies quite a bit between Beyond and Bigger. Bigger requires more writing in the areas of a once a week history notebooking assignment, a once a week science experiment sheet and a once a week science notebooking entry, along with once a week copywork of a Bible verse, 1-3 vocabulary cards each week, cursive handwriting practice daily, and daily grammar instruction with written practice. It also provides a choice of spelling or dictation passages. If your little one sounds like that would be fine for her, she belongs in Bigger. If not, then Beyond would be best. Beyond has much less writing doing copywork daily from the poetry, using a gentle once a week introduction to grammar, and writing daily for very short spelling lessons.
- In regard to your questions about the LA in HOD - after having done it for over a decade and having seen the positive results across all subject areas and within standardized testing for our state - I highly recommend it!!! :D Which part are you having questions about in particular? I can speak to those specifically if you let me know, as will other ladies! :D
- In regard to science - I'd not miss it! Your dd enjoyed the unit approach, and HOD's science fits in with the unit approach to the history theme very nicely. It also has excellent experiments that truly get done, great living books science readings, and neat notebooking assignments. I'd certainly try it before ruling it out - on a side note, I LOVE that my dc can do the science by participating in all of it FULLY! They don't WATCH me do experiments. They DO them. They don't WATCH me point out things and connections of my own - the DO their own CREATIVE, PERSONAL notebooking assignments. It is just an incredibly involved way to do science that helps them retain so much more. I'd give it a shot for sure! Next year, when doing PHFHG, you can always add Apologia science on the fifth day once a week. But you will know best here.
- If you have anything else that comes to mind to share with us here after taking one more peek at the placement chart, please do share! And then, I'd love to give some more pinpointed advice for you based on your specific dd's needs. Hope to hear back from ya soon, and looking forward to getting to know ya more here! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm

rcarp74 wrote:Hi- I am a new homeschooler this year and I have pretty much decided that HOD is the route I want to go for my daughter. I do have a few questions that I was hoping to get help.
Hi rcarp74, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D The ladies here are so helpful, as you can see already from these great responses! :D I have a few quick questions for you, to help you choose between Beyond and Bigger Hearts...
- What are some books dd has read lately, that are at a comfortable reading level for her independently?
- Can you share about your dd's writing? When looking at this description by HOD's author, Carrie, comparing the writing in Beyond and Bigger, which fits her better?
As far as choosing between "Beyond.." and "Bigger..." goes, the amount of writing varies quite a bit between Beyond and Bigger. Bigger requires more writing in the areas of a once a week history notebooking assignment, a once a week science experiment sheet and a once a week science notebooking entry, along with once a week copywork of a Bible verse, 1-3 vocabulary cards each week, cursive handwriting practice daily, and daily grammar instruction with written practice. It also provides a choice of spelling or dictation passages. If your little one sounds like that would be fine for her, she belongs in Bigger. If not, then Beyond would be best. Beyond has much less writing doing copywork daily from the poetry, using a gentle once a week introduction to grammar, and writing daily for very short spelling lessons.
- In regard to your questions about the LA in HOD - after having done it for over a decade and having seen the positive results across all subject areas and within standardized testing for our state - I highly recommend it!!! :D Which part are you having questions about in particular? I can speak to those specifically if you let me know, as will other ladies! :D
- In regard to science - I'd not miss it! Your dd enjoyed the unit approach, and HOD's science fits in with the unit approach to the history theme very nicely. It also has excellent experiments that truly get done, great living books science readings, and neat notebooking assignments. I'd certainly try it before ruling it out - on a side note, I LOVE that my dc can do the science by participating in all of it FULLY! They don't WATCH me do experiments. They DO them. They don't WATCH me point out things and connections of my own - the DO their own CREATIVE, PERSONAL notebooking assignments. It is just an incredibly involved way to do science that helps them retain so much more. I'd give it a shot for sure! Next year, when doing PHFHG, you can always add Apologia science on the fifth day once a week. But you will know best here.
- If you have anything else that comes to mind to share with us here after taking one more peek at the placement chart, please do share! And then, I'd love to give some more pinpointed advice for you based on your specific dd's needs. Hope to hear back from ya soon, and looking forward to getting to know ya more here! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

rcarp74

Post by rcarp74 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Wow, what great responses and such a nice welcome! Thanks to each of you for your thougtful replies. It really helps make my decision easier to move forward with HOD in light of the help I have recieved. To know there is such support with this program is just more affirmation that this is the direction God wants me to go.
Julie, in response to your questions--

1. both the new Amelia Bedelia books by Herman Parish, a few of the Magic Tree House books, and a few of The Puppy Place by Ellen Miles books.

2. I know that she kept 2 spiral notebooks at school that they journaled in all year. When I looked at them, she has a few short stories written in them, some drawings, doodling, responses to some questions (possibly from the teacher), some very short summaries of books they read, etc. As far as the spelling, she would get 12-15 words each week to study and then a test over those each friday. She always did excellent on the spelling tests. They also would do a memory verse each week, copy work of that verse and then recite it verbally to the teacher on friday. So all that being said, I don't think she would have a prob with the Bigger program's writing. It seems like it might be more than she was used to but I don't think it would be too much. And I def would like her to write/journal more if that helps. let me know your thoughts.....

3. I guess since I don't know much about any LA program, I just was uncertain about it in general. I assume most LA program aren't very exciting....but maybe that is what I am used to or think about when I think of LA. I was just hoping to get something that wasn't too dry. It is just hard to tell from the cover but I trust what you all say about it.

4. I agree with you on this one. Enough said :)

I do have a couple other questions that came to mind--- does HOD (Bigger) do any phonics work (I didn't read of any)or are they expected to be done with phonics by now? I honestly have no idea where my daughter is re phonics (sad I know but this won't happen again:). I look fwd to getting to know her more this year and what she knows, etc. I could always email her teacher from this past year and ask. I bought a phonics review book by Explode the Code (level 2 1/2) today which might help me figure out once she does a few pages? Just want to know anyone's thoughts on phonics for this age level. From the books she has read with me, she doesn't seem to struggle that much on pronouncing.
Another question---- Carrie says on her site that this program takes 3-3.5 hours each day. Is that an accurate timeframe? I have to say, I doubt I will have that much time to spend with her. Realistically I can spend around 2-2.5 each day. I guess I could split up 1 day into 2 like a couple of you recommended...

Thanks again for your interest in helping me figure this out. God is good!!
Rachel :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:06 pm

On the phonics, the key will be deciding between the emerging reader or DITHOR. I am guessing she is about in the middle of emerging reader in skills (the original Amelia book is covered in Unit 14 of ER). But, you can look at the book lists for those two and decide where she falls (or Julie will chime in with the answer).

As for the time, I found this written by Carrie:
Cursive = 5-7 minutes
Drawn into the Heart of Reading 20-30 min. total (including reading time - we only read one chapter a session)
Math = 20 minutes
Reading About History Box (8-10 min.), Bible Study Box (5- 10 min.), and Bottom left corner box of "Learning Through History" (15 min.) done in one sitting totaling 35 min. (Note: Art days take a little longer.)
Dictation (5 min.), Poetry (5-10 min.), Rod and Staff English (10-15 min.), and Storytime (15 min.- We read aloud only one chapter a day. Some moms do more!) done in one sitting totaling 35 min.
Hymns at lunch (5-10 min.)
Science (after lunch - 15-35 min.- depending on whether there's an experiment or a notebooking entry or just oral narration)

She also said later int he post that ER is only about 15 minutes compared to DITHOR's 20-30 minutes. Some of it she could do alone, independently too. So you don't have to sit with her for the whole 2.5-3 hours. And as you can see from Carrie's schedule, you can split it up over the day.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

rcarp74

Post by rcarp74 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Just to clarify-- the Amelia Bedelia books my daughter has recently read is not the same Amelia Bedelia book that is in the Emerging Readers set.That book is by Peggy Parish.
The 2 books my daughter read are by Herman Parish (they weren't released until 2013). They are a bit more advanced than that one in ER and not part of the I Can Read series. Here is the link for one of the two books that she read earlier this summer --- http://www.amazon.com/Amelia-Bedelia-Ch ... 0062094998.

rcarp74

Post by rcarp74 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 pm

That being said, I think I am now leaning towards purchasing the ER set ($65) for my daughter. And the girl interest deluxe book package ($58). And not buying the Level 2/3 readers in the DITHOR package at this time. But I will wait patiently to see what Julie and anyone else recommends. :) Thanks again.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Welcome to HOD! Sounds like you're getting off to a very good start--I think you are headed in a good direction placement-wise--and I think that's a big key to loving HOD. :) I just thought I'd chime in on your reading level question...I think she may find the Emerging Readers too easy. My son finished the ER's mid Spring, and we finished out the year by reading Magic Treehouse books, for example. I think that's about the level the ER's leave off at. You can keep in mind that there is more to offer there than just the reading, though. The follow up questions in your guide are a really great tool to get them thinking about what they read and a gentle introduction to reading comprehension; so that may be something you want-really easy books to introduce her to comprehension type thinking. If so, you might look at starting in the middle of the series somewhere. I think if it were me, though, I'd consider the 2-3 book pack. If she's not up to the DITHOR workbooks yet it's okay to begin by discussing that orally, and then move to having her answer the question while you write down what she says on a whiteboard and she then copies into her workbook.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks so much for getting back to me, Rachel - that helps so much! :D From what you've shared, as long as you are thinking dd is ready for the writing in Bigger Hearts, I think Bigger Hearts sounds like a good fit. :) She will probably grow into it nicely, and Bigger Hearts really is a great 'training year' for dc, so it's a good guide to begin with. It will give her a great foundation in so many important skills, and it will provide excellent support and guidance for you as her teacher teaching those skills. :D Plus, the books are awesome, as are the activities and the notebooking and experiments - oh, and the Godly character training and devotional - well, you get the picture. We really enjoyed our year with Bigger Hearts! :D

As far as phonics, I think it was a great idea to get Explode the Code 2 1/2 and work through that a page or two a day. She can probably go through ETC 3 too in this manner, just to brush up on any needed phonics. I am not sure when you wanted to start officially with your homeschooling year, but ETC 2 1/2 is something that would be super easy to start now. :D

That brings me to reading - it sounds like dd would place well in about the middle of the Emerging Reader's Set OR "Drawn into the Heart of Reading 2/3." You could really do either with her. If it was me, I'd probably get the last half of the Emerging Reader's Set and use my Bigger Hearts for His Glory teacher's guide for the pacing and oral reading comprehension questions to help her learn to love to read more, to build her confidence in reading, to develop her reading comprehension more fully, to teach her beginning oral narration skills, and to prepare her for the increased rigor of "Drawn into the Heart of Reading." I'd probably have her start at "Prairie School," as this is a Level 4 book, as well as an inspirational read. :wink: If you did this, you'd just follow the Bigger Hearts' Emerging Reader's Set plans in the Appendix, starting at "Prairie School," doing a day's worth of plans a day at a time, and whenever you finish the last book (The Courage of Sarah Noble), you''d start "Drawn into the Heart of Reading 2/3. (DITHOR)" You'd probably just get through a few genres of DITHOR, and then you'd finish it out the next school year.

The reading in HOD is EXCITING! I'd never describe it as 'dry' - so no worries there! :D I always wish I could have the education my dc are receiving with HOD. The books are so good - I would have loved every subject of school if I'd been able to learn reading these inspiring, stirring, exciting, memorable living books! When we've stopped at a real cliffhanger for the school day, I have been known to struggle with wanting to secretly take the books to bed with me to read ahead of my dc. :oops: I haven't done it, but oooooooh so tempting. :lol: "Put the book back, mom - no reading ahead," my ds will say. :lol: I really can't wait for you to school with HOD for this very reason!

For time, yep, 3 to 3 1/2 hours is accurate. However, I will say 3 hours is more the common amount of time it took us to do Bigger Hearts - once we'd done it for a month and got into a consistent routine order of doing our day. :D Is there any way you can find another hour in your day to homeschool? I know it can be tough, but it is so worth it not to have to rush or tweak things! Using the guides as they are written and having the right amount of time to do them sure helps take the stress out of my day. :D :D :D I work part-time and my dh travels a lot, but we have managed to figure it out. I'd love to try to help you somehow with this if I could! Of course, you can always go half-speed to start, doing 1 page of the plans one day, and the other page of the plans the next day (or divide the boxes out however you want over the 2 days, just so the 2 pages of plans gets done in 2 days). A few things I have done to clear out some needed time to make school happen here are start earlier in the morning, read Storytime books at lunch or at bedtime, let my (older) dc start earlier with their more independent things, dropped extra-curricular things or activities that took me out of the home and unable to school, had older siblings take turns with baby/toddler to free up some 1 on 1 time with the other child, read books onto a tape recorder for dc to listen to later (works well for Storytime) - those are just a few ideas!

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you, but I will try to get back sooner this time! We were out of town for the weekend with my dh. You are making such a super choice to use HOD! It is just such a blessing to our family. I know it will be to yours too! I'll check back! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi! Welcome to HOD.

The other ladies have been quite helpful so I won't try to help with phonics, etc.
Just wanted to take a moment to let you know that after a period of adjustment the times allotted for Bigger will be shorter.
It took my son 3 to 3.5 hours a day, but for me it was only 2.5 to 3 hours. Once I explained a concept or gave directions, etc. my ds could do math, science notebooking, poetry, and things like that on his own. I was always nearby (working w/ another child).
(To teach Bigger, Little Hearts, and Little Hands last year only took me a grand total of 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
The latter was only if there were experiments, or problems.)
As Julie (my3sons) said, it is well worth finding the extra time to invest in it. This past year in Bigger has been our most meaningful year, and the year I have seen the most growth - both academically, and in maturity. :) Hope something in here is helpful.

Enjoy your year! :D
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

rcarp74

Post by rcarp74 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi ! Just wanted to let all of you know that helped me out that I just placed my order! :) I feel such a relief already having that part done.
I order the Bigger package with science, and the last half of the ER reader set as recommended. I am very excited to begin this journey with HOD.

Thank you again for all the kind words and helpful advice. I know I will be back on these message boards often reading others posts and asking
more questions. God Bless each of you and thanks again!

~Rachel