Has any one ever...

If you have used "Little Hands to Heaven", please share your experience with us.
MagnoliaHoney

Has any one ever...

Post by MagnoliaHoney » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Wondering has any one ever taken their curriculum book for LHTH to a place like kinkos, and had the spine cut off, the cover lamented, and then rebound with a spiral binding?

I just bought this curriculum for the first time, and noticed, I didn't want to "break" the spine by continual usage of having to keep it open while I use it. Especially since I will probably be going through it a total of 4 times. By then I'm thinking the spine and cover will be pretty worn.

So I called Kinkos and sounds like it will cost me less then 10 dollars for what I want to do. But, wondering just how many people have done this, and did they like it afterwards, or regret it?

I really don't care about resale value. I bought it "used" but it's still in new condition. (I'm doubting it was actually used by it's condition). so I paid less then 1/2 price for it. And if I do indeed resell it after using it for 4 years, I will probably only sell it for a nominal amount-probably like 5 bucks 10 tops...and shipping-actual cost for me to mail it, no more. Cause I figure I would of gotten more then my money's worth out of it by then, but still would be nice to get a little bit of it back (I'm figuring some where between 1/4 and 1/2 of my investment back would be good).

StephanieU

Re: Has any one ever...

Post by StephanieU » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Lots of moms do! I think it is only about $5 at office supply stores too. But,t he bindings on the books (as is) are the fancier ones that won't break easily as well. So, it is more for convenience than for saving the binding I think.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:14 pm

I just had both my LHTH and LHFHG teacher's manuals done at Office Depot (spiral binding and front/back covers laminated) and I'm not sure I would do it again. Now mind you ,they had a problem cutting the original binding since it is so well made and it caused the pages to be a little uneven. I really do LOVE the binding and being able to copy easier in LHTH but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so having the pages messed up slightly drives me crazy lol. I would definitely take it to a very reputable place to have it done because I also had my son's handwriting book spiral bound and that got slightly messed up as well. I'm thinking next year I will have the covers laminated for sure but might leave it "as is" on the binding. I have read several threads on here about this and the binding is a REALLY good lay flat binding which Carrie had said stood the test of time compared with the older manuals (which were originally spiral bound) and had pages falling out.
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

MagnoliaHoney

Post by MagnoliaHoney » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:32 am

Nena that is exactly what I was wondering!

Exactly! I was afraid if it came out wrong, I would be upset like that too! But, I thought I was just being crazy to worry that they would mess it up, and I should get over being afraid of that. But, you confirmed that it could happen!

So I don't think I will do it then!

Can they laminate with out cutting the spine off though?

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:20 am

Ummm...not sure. I was planning on having that done next year but never really thought about them not being able to without cutting the spine. I would just call your local office supply (or wherever you plan on getting it done) and ask them if they can. I'm sure there are places that would do a great job on spiral binding, my local Office Depot unfortunately wasn't one of them :(
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

MagnoliaHoney

Post by MagnoliaHoney » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:26 am

oh I for sure know of two places that could do it. One is local and one I would have to mail it to. They would do it with out messing up, I'm sure! But, they also charge a LOT for it-we're talking it would be around 100 dollars! They have both been doing it though for way before "office" type stores even existed, one is around 100 year old company and the other local one I don't know how old they are, but I know we didn't have "office" stores (with exception of a place called quick print-they did stuff like this) back when I was growing up, but my mom would go to this book binding place to get stuff like this done-that's all they do, I'm thinking they are at least 50 years old-cause that was 40 years ago when I was growing up, and I know they weren't "new" then! lol

I was worried though about the local "office" supply stores messing it up. I am highly doubting for the prices they charge they have high quality cutters (for the spine) that the bigger more expensive companies have. That's why I asked the question about regretting it....that was exactly what I was worried about. I would get a shoddy cut off weird, or cut off words thing, and be upset! lol

I was really wanting it spiral bound though so that I could more easily take copies of the work sheets like you said....awe well...I think having the book available in PDF to buy would be awesome, then we could just print out as we needed and hole punch and keep what we don't need to print new of in a binder.