Confused about future combining...

This folder contains threads that have been requested to be marked as FAQ threads. If you see a thread that you think should be in here, just shoot us an e-mail.
Mom25

Confused about future combining...

Post by Mom25 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi! I used the placement chart, and I am hoping to do LHFHG with my 7yo (1st grade) and PHFHG for my twin 9yos (4th grade) this year, but I'm confused about how it will all work out in the future. I'm assuming that the following year the 7yo will go on to Beyond, and the twins to the Ancients program, then Bigger and the Reformation program (the olders will be in 6th grade and the extension pkg. for Bigger is for 4th and 5th). Do we just keep going from there with 2 separate programs? By the third year, my younger would reach PHFHG, but the olders will have already done that. I just need help figuring how it would work out theoretically. Thanks so much!
Last edited by Mom25 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Yes you would just continue on with two different programs. It is hard to combine when they are that far apart in ability.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 am

Wouldn't that mean two 4-hour programs eventually? And also, what if their ability gap closes? What if the 7yo catches up somewhat (which I do hope/expect) in the next couple years? How would I combine them them? Thanks!

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 am

Yes this means that you will be doing two programs - each taking 3-4 hours independently. However, starting in Preparing there are activities scheduled as independent. So you will not be doing direct teaching for the entire time for both programs. I am already finding that my son can work independantly for short amounts of time in Little Hearts. I get him started on his handwriting or math work sheet and then work with my 3yod, who insists on doing school like his big brother.

I am not sure how to go about combining in future years if their ability gap does close, I know that eventually I will be doing three programs. That seems like a lot now but I know as my children grow it will become easier.

I hope this helps.
Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:15 pm

Thanks. I did a search and found lots of other threads about this...I should have done that first!

Leslie in TN

Hi..

Post by Leslie in TN » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:52 am

I just had to say "hi" since I'm also mom to 9yo twins and a 7yo! :D

We're starting Preparing and Beyond this fall, and I just wanted to encourage you that, yes, it can be done. I was very (pleasantly) surprised when working out next year's schedule at how much my olders will be doing on their own -- which is something that both they and I need.

I've always been the poster child for combining whenever possible (in fact, I was originally going to do so with Bigger this coming year) but in looking back, I now realize that my dds were always being held back to accomodate my ds, and my ds was always being pushed to keep with dds!

So even though it may require a little extra work and planning from mom, I am confident in my placements and realize that (FINALLY!) each child will be learning and growing at their own level, not at the "group's" level.

Good luck in your decisions! :D
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 pm

Mom25,

You've already gotten some wonderful responses here, but I just wanted to pop-in and agree that you will be fine running two or even three HOD programs (as I am doing as well)! :wink:

I really tried combining my kiddos early on in our homeschooling journey and finally realized they were too far apart to combine very well. So, once I made the leap (as Leslie described) to separating them, I was actually very relieved that each would be getting what I had always wanted them to have (but could never do with combining). :o

Now some moms make combining work well, but for my kiddos personality-wise, academic-wise, and flow to the day-wise it was better to separate them. We've run all 3 of our kiddos separately for most things and combined at lunch for poetry, composer/music, hymns, storytime, art study etc. which combine well across the ages. 8)

I also did want to mention that Charlotte-Mason really advocated having each child in their correct program placement so they could do the bulk of their reading on their own. That is the stage we will be moving to in our next guide after Preparing. So, you'll have an easier time teaching separate programs when the older kiddos take over the bulk of their own reading! :wink:

Now if your heart is leading you to combine instead, you can make that work as well. The great thing about HOD is that it is flexible enough to accomodate whatever needs you have. Many moms on the board combine their kiddos and are more than happy to tell you how to to do it. So, for now, I'd just go forward and when your kiddos get to a place where you can possibly combine them, figure out whether it's best to do that for your family needs or not. For large families combining is a necessity and often works very well. Each family's need are so different that not one answer fits everyone.

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Thank you for the very clear explanations! I had always imagined combining, but also always wondered who would be the one "held back" or "left behind." I think I get it now, and I've made the leap and placed my order for LHFHG and PHFHG. I will just take it year by year rather than trying to figure it all out now. Thanks again, ladies!!

P.S. I'm VERY excited, now that I've finally made a decision, and I don't know HOW I'm going to wait until August for PH! :roll:

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:39 pm

I thought that I would want to combine my children later on too. But, I've discovered that they really do better being taught seperate. Besides storytime. I do try to include my younger in Bible time but they tend to act up much worse and not get as much out of it. I hope this helps anyone struggling with doing seperate programs.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Ladies,

The wonderful thing about HOD is that no matter how you decide to use our guides, with the wonderful mix of ladies we have on this board, you can always find someone who is doing something similar. So, if you desire to combine, there are terrific moms who can tell you how they make that work, if you desire to separate your kiddos, there are terrific moms who can tell you how they make that work. :D

At HOD we strive for structured flexibility, so no matter what your situation, you can find the fit you need by using our guides. And the moms are so straight-forward about giving advice and encouragement. All of us want to help one another along our HOD homeschool journey. So, we want to help it be successful for you. :wink:

We've found our situation changes very much from year-to-year at our house, but we can always use the HOD guides no matter what we need. It provides needed balance in an ever-changing ebb and flow. :D

Blessings,
Carrie