4-17-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

4-17-08

Post by MamaMary » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:28 am

We are just finishing up unit 27 of Little Hearts.
Some of our favorite activities from this week:

Playing the thinking skills game from day 1. You must continue to add items to Nancey Hart's pot and say all the previous added items in order. We played 4 times!! They loved that game.

I taught them the song "You're a Grand Ol' Flag" and we have sang that every day.

We absolutely love Buster Bear! One of the activities for this week was to photocopy a picture and write about what they do when they are scared. They loved that! Now, they want to color a copy of all the pictures.

They have very much enjoyed all of the history stories and (as usual) the rhyme was a big hit! We'll probably be leaping to North America even when we get to Beyond. :roll: We have to do that one plus the one for the unit every day!

We are looking forward to westward expansion so we can get to Missouri! I'll try to add pics later, but it is very cloudy here and my satellite keeps dropping my connection :? so it's iffy at best.

Have a great week everyone!! :D
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:43 am

This week in Beyond...we finished up The Cricket in Times Square. It was a great story and my daughter wanted to read chapter after chapter every day! I enjoyed it too, never having read it as a child. I'm learning that as well-read as I am and as much as I have always loved to read, my literature education was sorely lacking during my school years! :roll: Why did I miss out on all this?! Today we will begin Ginger Pye for our storytime.

Hailey continues to do well in spelling, and is enjoying reading Prairie School for her reading time. She identifies with Noah since she struggled to learn to read and be successful with her letters, too. :wink:

We've really had fun reading about the adventures the children are having in Sories of the Pilgrims. First, Prudence and Endurance stayed home alone and had to 'scare off' two indians with pumpkin lanterns! Then, Isaac and Joseph were kidnapped by Indians; we're still waiting to find out if they'll be rescued! :?

Science has been fun, with our learning about the various animals God made. Did you know that fish reflect their surroundings to protect themselves? I didn't. It's like camouflage!

And of course, Bible. Hailey has memorized two verses this week (we're doubling up some units since we started 'late'). She's really hiding God's word in her heart, and coming to understand what God's protection means. I love to see those connections each day!

We are also enjoying the poetry. She likes to copy her poem and illustrate it at the end of the week.

I have also nocticed that Hailey has become more diligent in her work. She tries to do her best; AND she has taken the initiative to start her independent work early each day so she can get done and play. She will even write the assignments out on the white board herself, get her books out, check in the teacher's manual (with help) to find her poetry, etc. I think she'll be ready to teach her own crew by next year! :lol:

A great week with HOD; and I just got my LHTH box today...so I'm gonna go open that now!!! :P :) :D

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:20 pm

Here is a link to my blog with our week in review. :D

Melanie-we are still right on track with you guys. :D We just finished Day 3 of Unit 28 today.

Gina

http://beandipblog.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... 4-418.html
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

SheriPrescott

Our last "official" week of school

Post by SheriPrescott » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:37 am

Here is my blog link for our last "official" week of school for this year. (Preschool/Kindergarten) http://sheriprescott.blogspot.com/2008/ ... chool.html

Savannah and I both can't wait to start "Little Hearts" and have had such a blessed and wonderful experience this year. What an honor to teach our kids at home, huh? =)

I hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful spring day!

~ Sheri
http://sheriprescott.blogspot.com
Sweet Daughter ~ 5 years old, 1st grade, Little Hearts For His Glory
Sweet Daughter ~ 2 years old
Precious Baby Boy ~ Due August 20th, 2008

momof4

Post by momof4 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Here is a link to our week in review -

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/pazzaweekinrev/518514/

Sheri, I loved your blog! We are only a couple of weeks behind you and we too are looking forward to Little Hearts!! Have a great vacation!

Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:25 am

Oh my, the end of the week is here and I'm empty handed. I can't believe it. I know we worked on things. I know we read about the ship coming from England. I know we worked on a spelling list. Hmmmmm....where did the week go? Ahhhh, now I remember. Spring. Yep, that is where it went. It went to being outside, catching up on daddy time, family time with just some sprinkles of learning time this week. Yep, now I remember. It is all coming back to me now. Well, there is plenty of time for learning in the hot summer months around here and when doing HOD you don't need a whole day to accomplish the mission, so we'll just continue taking things slowly and keeping family the priority. You see, I'm a mom with a 14 year old and I remember only too well those well-meaning comments about "enjoy them because it all goes so fast." I used to think "yeh, okie dokie and run off to change my spit-up laden shirt." But now, with a son that will be heading off on his own in 4 very short years, I have to say those women were oh so wise. What I'd give to be able to hold him once again and smoother him in kisses. Now, he's taller than me (and who isn't?) and the "mom, people are looking" or "eww, you're my mom" syndrome has hit so I pat him on the shoulder and remember back when. So, as I said, I'm going to just enjoy the family time that we do get when my dh is home from work and because of the beauty of HOD, we'll get there when we get there and it will be worth it in the end.
Heidi

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Ladies,

I'm SOOO late to share, but we were gone to convention in Duluth and just got back this evening! Sheri, how exciting that you are done with "Little Hands...". The pictures of Savannah were precious!

I loved reading all of your blogs and seeing the faces of your darling children! I know the end of the year can be a drain at times, but it's so wonderful to come here and be uplifted as you each share your week with HOD! :D

I'll share a couple of things we enjoyed this past week (before I headed out and left my hubby to finish out Thursday and Friday)! :wink:

In "Little Hearts...", my third little guy is loving measuring by cups for Singpapore Math. He's learning to tally and can really compare how many cups of water each container holds. He also enjoys sharing his verse with his dad or his stuffed animals each week. They enjoy "hearing" it too.

My third son has made such strides in his listening and attending, since we started "Little Hearts..." last fall. He can really tell what is going on in our readings and answer questions about what we've read. He's gaining in his fine motor skills too, a little at a time. It is wonderful to see his progress. We're still really enjoying "Danny Meadow Mouse".

In "Bigger Hearts...", my second son is really enjoying reading about the Wright brothers. He loved putting an ice cube in a glass of water to demonstrate how icebergs only show partially above the water (which is how the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank). He also loved making a paper quilt of various colored rubbings for art. He even had to make another one for my third son, who wanted one just like big brother's! :lol:

We've been talking about honesty this week and really taking it to heart. The character trait portion of our study has been so good for addressing areas of concern with my son one-on-one. I can see his heart is changing as he works on a different trait each week.

We also just finished "Owls in the Family" and really laughed our way through it. Humor is good medicine! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie