Week In Review 5/23/11-5/27/11

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Mom4Him

Week In Review 5/23/11-5/27/11

Post by Mom4Him » Fri May 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

Mom4Him

Re: Week In Review 5/23/11-5/27/11

Post by Mom4Him » Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 pm

I hope everyone has had a wonderful week!! It is so hard for me to believe that my kindergartners finished up "Little Hearts for His Glory" today! What a blessing this curriculum has been & continues to be in our lives! :D :D I honestly do not know how other homeschool moms do it- HOD just makes everything so much easier for me!
Here is a post about some of the fun we've had with "Little Hearts"- highlighting our last day! :D
http://ourfamilyforhisglory.blogspot.co ... arten.html
Blessings,
Jessica

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 pm

WE HAVE FINISHED CTC!!!

What a fun, awesome, rich, full year. I can't believe how much both DS and I have learned! What amazes me most of all is the growth in DS's writing skills. Both in quantity and quality. We went from moans and groans when a single sentence was required to DS starting a journal on his own initiative. I have loved seeing how his written narrations have blossomed and how they are making him into a writer! The wonderful books and audios are already being re-read and re-listened to. I think we are going to have lots of retention from this year's history.

I have been hearing so much this year from experienced homeschool moms about how important skills are and am so happy I stumbled upon a program that makes those a priority, yet still has the rich literature base. CTC has stretched us just enough and has given plenty to enjoy. We are already looking forward to starting RTR in August.

Here are a few photos of DS's work the last few units. DH and I were especially amazed at his poem he wrote for Write With the Best. (He chose fighter jets as his theme. :D )
Attachments
548.JPG
548.JPG (54.96 KiB) Viewed 7942 times
549.JPG
549.JPG (56.93 KiB) Viewed 7942 times
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 pm

History notebook.
Attachments
550.JPG
550.JPG (80.09 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
551.JPG
551.JPG (89.42 KiB) Viewed 7940 times
552.JPG
552.JPG (76.58 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri May 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi -Im so glad you started this thread Jessica
We have finished week 22 in LHTH and in Beyond.I will start with LHTH
Stanley had so much fun marching around this week in our song time and my heart just melted at him with his hands on his hips singing "Jesus told satan NO". I love how LHTH reminds me to do things I would forget to make time for-like today Stanley was pouring water into cups to match the number card I gave him.I *know* how good it is for little ones to get to do this sort of empty and fillkind of water play -but somehowthe busyness can overtake me and I just dont schedule those activities.Stanley thoroughly enjoyed this.
I changed the masking tape and blocks for sidewalk chalk and rocks!

Beyond
Nathan is still enjoying the the nature reader.We did have an entire day of mirror writing which :shock: threw me a bit.He has loved hearing about the inventor Benjamin Franklin. His favourite exhibits at the museum we have a years pass to;-is the Franklin stove .He also enjoyed hearing about Deacon Drowne and the grasshopper.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Fri May 27, 2011 4:32 pm

We just wrapped up Unit 19 in LHTH. Here is my blog link to our week in review:

http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... o-did.html
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 am

Wow!!! I am LOVING checking out all of these week-in-reviews! Being new to HOD, I love to see how others' days go...It is really exciting! :D Spidermansmum, I can't wait to do that Franklin Stove with my dd who will be starting Beyond soon! Thanks everyone, for sharing your days :D

Here's the link to our weekly wrap-up: http://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordp ... w-hiccups/
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Congratulations on finishing, Jessica and birchbark! So, are you taking the summer off or jumping right in to the next guide? :lol: birchbark, what beautiful drawings! jessica, love love love all the pictures on your blog! What a group of lovelies (including mommy)!

spidermansmum, I like the sidewalk chalk and rocks idea, I think I'll try it (we have plenty of both!). It's not easy to make a Q out of masking tape!! :lol:

Our favorite project of the week was making lion faces as we learned about Daniel. The girls also liked the activity where we would pretend to be roaring lions and one of the kids would be an angel and touch our lips to close our mouths. My 2 year old keeps asking me to be a lion so she can close my mouth. :shock: I don't close my mouth very often so maybe she's trying to give me a hint. :lol:

Painting our lion faces...

Little Hannah's lion...

4 year old Lily's lion...

I found some cookie cutters in the junk drawer that worked for making lion and Daniel PB&J's for lunch...

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sun May 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Love the Daniel themed lunch :D
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Mon May 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Here's our link! Happy Memorial Day, everyone! :) I pray you have another fantastic week!

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... -lhth.html
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Ladies,

I am loving the peek into your homes! Thanks so much for sharing! :D I just want to encourage each one of you that you are doing a great job. May the Lord richly bless you as you answer His call on your lives to homeschool! :D

Mom4Him,
I am celebrating with you as you have completed LHFHG! :D It looks like you had so much fun and that you worked hard at hiding God's word in your little ones' hearts! :D

birchbark,
Wow! What a great poem your son wrote! His progress this year has been amazing to watch, as you've allowed us to walk with you through the weekly check-ins! :D We enjoyed sharing the journey with you so much! :D

spidermansmum,
I loved the pictures of Stanley and can just picture him saying, "Jesus told Satan, 'NO'!" My little one was so emphatic with that rhyme in motion too. It's a great memory for me too! :D

Dustybug,
It looks like your kiddos had a great time studying and learning about Jonah. I loved the pictures of them doing all their activities! The fishing ones were so cute! :D

Miranda,
I really enjoyed reading about your progress in Bigger Hearts and seeing your son and daughter doing the activities! :D We pray that the switch to Beyond for your sweet daughter will fit her well. Feel free to let us know how it's going. :D I'm so glad that your son is thriving in Bigger. :D

KirstinBeth,
The lion masks were so cute! :D I had to laugh when you shared about closing the lion's mouth. We had such fun with that one too. I'm not quiet person either! :wink:

Heidi,
I loved seeing your girlie girl and your cutie son! It looks like your girlie is loving LHTH! :D My son was always begging for more too! Thanks for sharing. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:52 pm

I loved the Daniel-themed lunch - what a great inspiration, Kristin! I also love that y'all were doing school OUTSIDE!!! :D
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com