4-3-08 Weekly Check In

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

4-3-08 Weekly Check In

Post by MamaMary » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt! ( :D )
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:45 am

Well school only happened one day this week. Then the boys became sick. No one is sleeping well and all are coughing like crazy. Hopefully we will be better by next week and can keep moving forward. I never realized how hard it would be to teach alphabetical order until this week. It was an interesting challenge but he is starting to get it so that is great.

I am excited as we will start the emergent reader set in the next few weeks. We have a few more chapter books from HOP to read first then on to the Emergent Reader List. I am very excited for my oldest to start reading the bible. He will also think that is pretty cool.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:00 pm

This week in LHFHG, we worked on some more handwriting and another reading lesson. DS remembered learning the am and ap sounds in the last lesson. Yeah! Yesterday, he learned ag and at. It was so fun to listen to him 'read' am and at. He is asking me right now if he can 'do schoolwork'. :D We did Math and Doing it Carefully today...
and a lesson from RME. I'm holding off on the History, Science, etc. (left side of plans) for now. I think he needs more time before being able to answer those questions and really understand those subjects. So, we'll be focusing on Fine Motor Skills, Math, Storytime, & Phonics..moving on to do the left side of the plans maybe this summer or even further into the fall.

My DD really enjoys the HOD spelling, and she is doing great! I just wanted to share how she did this week. We are doing both lists at one time, in an effort to get through all of the spelling words in Beyond...this year. Even with that, she is excelling. These pictures will give you a great idea of what kinds of spelling activities Carrie has placed in the manual.

My DD has also been enjoying using the emerging reader's books in Beyond. We are reading A Chair for my Mother this week.
Image She is able to comprehend and answer the questions easily. Yesterday, when she finished reading her 3 assigned pages, she said, "I wish I could read more." Now that is a true testimony to what HOD and RME have done for my daughter and her reading ability! :D She has a love for reading now that I never thought she would develop. I'm so happy we found HOD.

I can't wait to see how everyone else's week has been!
Last edited by inHistiming on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:14 pm

I forgot to check-in last week, so I'm posting one picture that we did last week and one from this week.

This is Wayne with his "Boston Tea Party" picture. They loved the story and the art project. Emma gave a perfect narration of the story to Nana and they showed their pictures to everyone. I don't think they ever realized what was in a tea bag, so a good lesson on that as well!

This was an art project from last week. We made a map of the crossing of the Blue Ridge mountains. This was particularly interesting for us, since my grandfather was raised in the Appalacian (sp?) hills of TN. He tells some very interesting stories about his boyhood days, but my favorite is about going to get the milk out of the spring house (this is a shed type building built over a spring, the water is very cold when it first comes out of the ground) and having to take a gun to shoot the rattlesnakes in the spring house! We drove over the Blue Ridge parkway from TN to West VA once and it is one of the most beautiful places in our country.

We really enjoyed the unit on George Washington and the kids have spotted him in many places since. We are on the Revolutionary war this week and hopefully I'll do a better job of taking pictures!

Our biggest event of the week was today. My baby turned 6!!! :cry:

I love reading these. It makes me feel so connected to all of you even though we are miles apart. Have a great weekend everyone!!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 pm

I have been wanting to post here for a while, but just never got around to it.

Hannah Grace is enjoying LHTH more and more! She already knew most of her upper case and most of her lower case letters before we started. And we progressed quicker with the sounds of each faster than the schedule in LHTH, but this has been great reinforcement and is helping with some confussion. She gets some of the commonly mixed up letters...well, mixed up. LOL *B* and *D*, *E* and *F*. Well, just today she told me that this was *E* *e* not *F*! The activites really do help them to remember. :D

These pics are from 2 weeks.

Hannah loves the stories and the songs. Listens over and over and over. We don't just read one Bible story at each setting, but instead she wants 3 to 5. So we usually read a weeks worth of stories several time. :D She knows Joseph as well as an almost 3 yo can. :lol: Here is her coat of many colors:

She enjoys placing beans or what ever on the letters.

I can't wait to get to Joseph in the sand. If we do that in the next day or so I will add the pic here.

She loves to do *o*s and straight lines, and wavy lines for water. Then mama has to add the fishy. Here are some *o*s/

Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Here is a link to my blog with our week in review.

http://beandipblog.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... 31-44.html

Susie-Your daughter is adorable!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:16 am

Yes, it is good to check-in...It is like showing the principal at the school where you work the results of the lesson plan.
Here is our link http://escuelitaaparicio.blogspot.com/2 ... eview.html
Dorla

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:26 am

Why thank you Gina! We think she is our little peach, but with my mommy bias and all. ... :lol:

Dorla, you had me laughing! Started my day off good for sure! I can see Hannah Grace under the table during story time. :lol: She is like that now, but begs to be read to anyhow. :D
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:12 am

This week in "Little Hearts..." my third little guy loved reading the story of Jesus' birth. When I told him we were reading the story of Jesus' birth, he jumped up and shouted, "YES! THAT"S THE BEST STORY!" :D

He loved making a masking tape outline of a barn and making pens for the farm animals. He made a paper towel baby Jesus to put in the manger. Waking all of the farm animals to tell them the Savior was born was his favorite. I loved singing "Away in a Manger" too. :)

We also finished "Peter Rabbit" and have started "Danny Meadow Mouse". It will take us a little while to love Danny as much as we loved mischeivous Peter.

We also loved singing notes and feeling the vibrations in our throats and then tapping glasses of water to see how the vibrations caused the glasses to "ring". This was to remind us about the angels singing in the sky when Jesus was born. :D

For art in "Bigger Hearts...", my second son loved making a string outline of the United States and making stand-ups of animals John Muir saw on his nature walks. My little guy is really into drawing animals (thanks to our previous study of James Audubon this year)!

He also loved herding his popcorn kernal cattle from end of the table to another - through coyotes (me stealing one cow while the others stampeded), loud noises (me pounding the table), and hail (me pelting his cattle with mini-marshmallows). He realized how difficult it is to herd cattle and be a cowboy!

Last, we loved making homeade ink from egg white, lampblack (collected on the bottom of a plate held over a lit candle) and honey. We realized how grateful we need to be for ink, and how difficult it was for the pioneer's to have ink to write! 8)

We are also loving "Owls in the Family". Wol and Weeps are hilarious! :lol:

I hope your week was good as well. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:45 am

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
This was just a great week! I love where my ds doing Bigger is at right now with his work. The notebooking has totally clicked now, and his creativity has kicked in! HOORAY! He is not an artistic or imaginative child by nature, so this is exciting stuff for me! This first picture is a vocabulary card he did. He made the "bombs" from cannons shoot out to each other for a 3-D effect on his vocabulary card. I guess we'll use this picture to "file" it in his card holder. I love the dictionary skills and vocabulary he's learning through the vocab. card activities! He's gotten really good at it now!

This second picture is his notebooking entry of the North vs. the South in the Civil War, and it shows the 2 flags he made. He actually made all of the stars! He's not been able to make stars before now, so he was pretty excited to be able to have mastered that. (I made him a step-by-step, dot-to-dot, model of a star, and he got it. I don't know why I didn't think of that before, with my logical, math-minded ds, this works!)

The last one is a history activity that had him outline a state of his choice (he picked Florida), and then he used the Journeys in Time book to make stand-up animals pictured in that state in that time period. He was so proud!

Little Hearts for His Glory:
Our ds is loving LHFHG! This is a picture of him mixing food coloring and water to create different colors. It represents John's Revelations. He kept mixing different colors well after the activity was "done"!

This last one is about our sense of taste and how wonderful of a gift that is from God! It is also showing how sin often looks one way on the outside, but another on the inside. Here he is taste-testing things that look alike but taste totally different: sugar/salt, cocoa powder/hot chocolate mix, and lemon juice/apple juice. He LOVED doing this!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 am

I've been really busy this week, but we managed to school 3 days out of the 5. The favorite activity by far was measuring different lengths of yarn to compare the wingspans of vaious owls and the armspans of my girls. My 4th grader was thrilled to find that the wingspan of the great horned owl is equal to her armspan :shock: She has also been drawing an undersea picture just because she wants to, and I will be sure to post it when she's done.
My 3rd grader is very happy to start the Christian Liberty Nature Reader, Book 1. She says it looks interesting :D
The girls both greatly enjoyed learning about Robert Fulton and the first working steamboat. At the same time, my younger was reading about Orville and Wilbur Wright in the emerging readers, so the girls got lots of reinforcement about being optimistic!
They are both plugging away at language arts and math and making good, steady progress-both girls finished their cursive workbooks (we used Handwriting Without Tears) so I am using copywork the rest of the year for cursive practice.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Elm in NJ

Post by Elm in NJ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:24 am

We only did lesson one in Bigger. I am so excited about it, but my 9 yr old ds is not so sure :( . He loves workbooks and he is not exactly thrilled about this new curriculum. We started Ben and Me for storytime, and he loved that though. We have a full week next week so we will see how it goes :) .

Elmeryl (using Bigger with a 9yr old).

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:05 pm

Okay..my photos are showing up really large again, at least to me. Does it look that way to all of you in my previous post? If so, I'll have to try to figure out what I did wrong. :?

SandKsmama

Post by SandKsmama » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:35 pm

Yes, they are showing up big on my screen too. But they are GREAT - I am not using HOD yet, so it's so cool to me to read about things my little dd will be doing next year:-)

Amanda
Amanda, wife to Michael since 5/99, SAHM to Susannah (7/96), Killian (1/01, and Katrielle (8/03) and ?? (2/09), Homeschooling and loving it!!

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:25 am

We did school 4 days this week since Grandma came in from Michigan yesterday (we're in PA).
In LHFHG, we studied The Fall, and Noah. Our favorite activities were Making the box of the garden on the floor and doing the directions (go to the left of the garden, so in the garden...). We practiced writing our number by making a huge hop-scotch board on the driveway. So she wrote all her number from 1-14. But her favorite was making little boat like the ark out of foil for the bathtub.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH