3-27-08 Weekly Check In!

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

3-27-08 Weekly Check In!

Post by MamaMary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaMary

Mary's Weekly Check In!

Post by MamaMary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:41 pm

We are back from vacation! I thought I could still share a HOD memory, even though we were on the road most of the time. :wink:

The above picture was of my little Jacob. I have mentioned before how much he LOVES the bible portion of Little Hands for His Glory and here's the PROOF!

Jacob sat quietly in his car seat reading his little bible. We listened to all of our HOD Music CD's and Jacob's Bible CD. It was "8" hours of driving and all of our HOD goodies made it such a blessing.

We have decided to take one more week off because we all got the icky stomach flu the day we had to drive home and so this week has been a complete wash!

We love Heart Of Dakota and I can't WAIT to start back!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:31 pm

We have two sick kiddos, high fevers, nose bleeds, throwing up... so we have done nothing all week. I've spent the last two nights holding my daughters hot little body close while she whimpered all night long.

I'm ready for normal days again...

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:53 pm

netpea wrote:We have two sick kiddos, high fevers, nose bleeds, throwing up... so we have done nothing all week. I've spent the last two nights holding my daughters hot little body close while she whimpered all night long.

I'm ready for normal days again...
Oh LeeAnn, I am lifting your little one up to the Lord tonight. God Bless you and your sweet little girls!

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:12 pm

silly

Post by silly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:31 pm

I had an attack of pain in my chest on Friday and then again on Sunday. We believe I must have a stomach ulcer, and I've felt pretty puny all week, so we've taken a break this week. Hoping to pick back up tomorrow or Friday!
Sasha; mama to
Erik (5) LHTH
Jacob (4) LHTH
Lucas (2)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jahayfamilyschool/

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:50 pm

We are in Beyond, unit 20. This week we had fun trying to compare ourselves to animals.
Stewart could only flap his arms 28 times in 10 seconds, not 700 like the hummingbird. But he really did try!
He jumped 4 ft... not 40ft like a kangaroo.

Okay - so that isn't earth shattering stuff, but we had an off week, only doing HoD two days. [Monday they had a field trip to Maple Syruping farm, and we had CBS and will have Co-Op tomorrow.]

As an aside, we are reading a lot on our own about the Underground RR as we will have a field trip for the Underground RR in May. I probably could have waited a few weeks and segued it into our non-fiction section... but some of the great readers are historical fiction, and we did that already. :? BUT - as only God could plan [b/c I would totally mess it up!] our study of Titus has us reading about slaves as well.

OH - that reminds me! Only God could coordinate this!

For Beyond, unit 20 we are reading the poem Against Idleness and Mischief and memorizing Proverbs 12:24. Believe it or not [believe it!] our CBS Bible study was concentrating on sluggardness AND our First Language Lessons had the story of The Donkey and the Salt... emphasizing laziness as a down-fall. I am so BLESSED when stuff like that comes together, AND I pointed it out to my son that Mama could not have lined all that up, and Mama did NOT line all that up... but as a lesson for him, I showed him that when so many things come together like that, you ought to consider that the Holy Spirit is trying to convict you of something. [Something my son TOTALLY needs conviction on! He suffers from, let's do the least and move on syndrome!]

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:00 pm

For "Little Hearts..." this week, my son loved making shadow shapes on the wall to show how shadows are formed. This went along with our lesson on Alexander the Great and how his horse Bucaphelus saw his own shadow and was afraid of it. :o

As we read "Peter Cottontail", my little guy thinks that Peter is very funny (as he is trying to hibernate like the other forest animals for winter). We are almost done with "Peter Rabbit" and will start "Danny Meadow Mouse" soon. 8)

Today we had fun making faces to show the matching emotion for various examples (frightened, excited, or sad). My little guy did such a good job of matching the right face for the right emotion. This went along with the lesson on Mary and how frightened she was to see Gabriel, and later how excited she was to be told she would be the mother of Jesus. :D

For "Bigger..." this week, my son enjoyed making a map to show the 3 routes to the California Gold Rush". We discussed all of the different hazards that each route had. My son thought going through Panama was the route he would have taken. :shock:

In "Bigger..." my son also loved discovering how fish hear so well underwater. We filled a ziplock bag with water and sealed it. Then, we tapped the bag near our ear and after that holding it right on our ear, as if we were in the water. What a difference in the sound! The particles in water are closer together, making the sound travel faster.

My middle son is also into drawing, so he loved drawing the 3-D stovepipe hat for art and also learning how to draw a 3-D log. Both went along with the study of Abraham Lincoln. :wink:

Last for "Bigger..." this week, we loved looking for the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper as suggested and enjoyed finding the North Star. The sky map we printed from the link in the guide showed us where to find them in the sky this time of year.

Hope all of you are getting a chance to enjoy some HOD things too! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:56 pm

This week in Little Hearts we have been learning about George Washington. We had fun writing our address with pens, crayons, and of course paint. Reading George Washington's Breakfast has also been fun.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

netpea

Unit 11 - Beyond

Post by netpea » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 pm

Well, my son (7) is perking up so we did some light work today. My daughter's (5) fever hasn't broken yet, so she mostly watched veggietales and napped. For my son, we did the science from Unit 10 about the water cycle and the ocean floor. He liked making his play-doh model of the ocean floor. Then we read through all the history from Unit 11 as we had already done that chapter in Am. Pioneers & Patriots last year when we were doing MFW Adventures and we read unit 11's science on rodents and did the oil paper. He remembers doing the oil paper last year too... Carrie was right, they remember more than we realize.
:D
That's it for us for the whole week. It was nice snuggling together reading. Maybe tomorrow, we'll catch up in Little House in the Big Woods.

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:52 pm

We have been taking this week off I suppose, not that my 4 year old has a rigid, scheduled week anyhow! Our homeschooled friends across the street have been on "school break", so lots of play time in the cul-de-sac has been taking place. We are going camping to the beach in our motorhome for the weekend, and when we return we will happily continue on with Little Hands again!

So sorry to hear of all of you experiencing health problems within your family. We recently got beyond the yucky stomach flu here, so I know how you feel about wishing to return to normal. Praying for a quick recovery and comfort for your little ones.

Candice :D

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:28 am

Sorry so many are sick. Hope all are well soon.

We started LHFHG mid week this week. My DD was ready to move up to the next level, though we'll probably do some LHTH on off days or summer days when we don't really want to do much.

She's enjoying reading Reddy Fox and the Rhymes in Motion. She also liked the Bible verse activity of throwing socks into a basket.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:07 pm

Bigger:
I loved this notebook entry that my ds did for Bigger. It shows different farm tools used in pioneer times. The reason it is one of my favorite notebooking this week, is because my ds who generally doesn't get into coloring and drawing, really got into this, and did a really neat notebook assignment. Through HOD, he's learning to neatly organize, draw, color, and label things, which is not a natural thing for him (other than the labeling - which he has always done). I'm so proud of him, and he's going to have a great notebook at the end of this year!
LHFHG:
My ds wanted to show you all his very colorful zebra from his A Reason For Handwriting Book K. His letters are looking so neat, and his coloring is as bright as his personality! He also wanted to show all of you his "handcuff" art assignment about Peter being in prison. He meticulously wrapped the tin foil pieces around the yarn for this project, and he loved the fact that the angel helped Peter escape!

One last happy thing to share - when we do the Little Pillows devotional each week in Bigger, my ds always wants to sing the end song in the book, written by the author, Frances Havergal. It is the famous song "Take My Life and Let It Be". My ds is not a great singer vocally, but boy is his heart into it, and I always think how it must be beautiful to the Lord! I love that time together! :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Okay, here goes, my first weekly check in!!!

In Beyond we completed unit 1. Sam enjoyed all of the activities; I heard "This is so cool!" many times. The method for teaching spelling enabled him to get all of his spelling words correct!! We started with the easiest list at the beginning and at first he could not spell most words, but by day four he had them all down pat!! I hope it sticks!!
Today we made the shields. The other kids thought that it looked so fun that they made them too. We didn't have paint , so we had to use crayon and it is hard to see in the pictures.

In Little Hearts for His Glory, my daughter (and everyone else) is enjoying Reddy Fox. She learned her memory verse and has been reciting it to everyone today. :D She loves the crafts.
I love that we are done by 10:30 am, it is enjoyable, and I feel like we are accomplishing what we need to do!! I LOVE HOD!! :D

Kelly

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:41 pm

We got a slow start to the week since my dh was off on Monday (the Nationals new stadium opens this weekend so dh is scheduled for the whole weekend) so we took the day off but quickly got started on Tuesday. Here is Friday and I feel like it is Saturday! At any rate, we worked through Unit 11 this week (I've still got one more day tomorrow morning) and, of course, had a lot of fun! We built a log cabin so that he could customize the windows
with his oiled paper. We haven't invested in a lot of lincoln logs so we made do with what we had on hand. He just can't believe this is called school and always seems to have this "are you sure about this mom?" look when we work on these quick and easy projects. So cute! Besides the project, I've seen him grow in areas with his spelling - from a child that has been struggling to read no less. He did great this week and only missed one word. As you can see, he didn't receive any assistance this week from his younger brother as the weather was just too warm to keep him contained inside for long. (Read, big sister and bigger brother took turns keeping an eye on him!) Just another wonderful week to report!

Heidi
Last edited by 1shortmomof4 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.