Week In Review 3-12-09

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week In Review 3-12-09

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:35 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week In Review 3-12-09

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:10 am

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
We've been having so much fun learning about the Medieval times! In CHOW, we've read about Alfred the King of England, the feudal system, knighthood, and how many people thought the world would end in the Year 1000 - I really liked the link to Matt. in the Bible where it describes Christ's return - we had a great talk about this. In Storytime, we finished Raiders from the Sea (LOVED that), and now we started Door in the Wall. I especially am thankful that the Storytime read-alouds link to the time period we're studying and also usually have a running theme of having main characters that loved God. It's neat to see how some people continued to love the Lord across all the time periods - even some really difficult ones. Wyatt's been reading Minstrel in the Tower for his Independent History study, and he can hardly wait to find out what will happen next. We researched "trenchers" in the Middle Ages this week, and then we got to have a Medieval Feast! This was one of our whole family's favorite memories from this week (even the dog's :lol: ). Below are the pictures from that. First, Wyatt presented the salt bowl. Then, he had all of us wash our hands in a basin of water. Next, he passed out the trenchers that he baked for us to use as plates. He planned our feast, and the menu was very Medieval-like - cheese, roast beef and ham, fruit with cinnamon and sugar, green beans, and pastries (Wyatt used the Egyptian pastries recipe from back at the beginning of PHFHG and made them all by himself! :D ). Last, we had to decide if we would eat our trenchers, give them to the poor, or throw them to the dogs. We ate some of them, and our dog was also pretty happy!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

In science, we've been immersed in studying the coral reef - which has fit great with the time period as we've read about so many sea/ocean trips by the Vikings. Wyatt continues to grow in his writing of poetry - this week he wrote a 4 stanza poem about blizzards (something we know a lot about here :D ). For Bible, I've noticed how much his study means to him, and how each week he takes more ownership of it. Because the Bible is virtually part of every subject in HOD and used in many of the activities (history and science notebooking, discussions, etc.), it has become a natural place for him to look up things. I LOVE that. One thing that stood out in my mind is how often he just flips into his Bible for answers. He knows where to go - something I'm still learning and certainly didn't know at his age. For example, when we were talking about Jesus coming again, he added more to his answer by looking up an additional scripture in Revelations. When my dh and I couldn't remember how old Methuselah was at the supper table - he whipped open his BIble and found it - so many times this is happening lately. I love that he sees the Bible as an incredible resource for answers!!!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:43 am

I loved the pictures Julie.
We had a good week and we are now up to week 22 day 3 of Little Hearts For His Glory.We had lots of fun
Here is some of our blog posts
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-283.html
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... g-284.html
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.com ... y-286.html
Here are some pics if you dont like links.Here we are walking the journey of food through the intestine
We are seeing some progress with his writing and we are starting to use A reason..A. agian,I think he is ready now and we are trying a tiny bit every day.His numbers are the right way round 99% of the time and he is able to work out sums in his head and has some simple addition/subtraction sums memorised .His reading is iproving-particularly his sight words so we are using the reading Lesson again
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Well, I'm back to post about other ds now! :D Too many interruptions to think straight until now... :wink:

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
Riley and I read about the Pilgrims and how sick they got during the long hard winter in history. In science, we learned about how germs are spread, which was an excellent lesson not only because it linked so well to the history, but also because there are a lot of germs spreading around about now. :D Riley had to tear up paper bits to be germs and put them in a cup (which represented his mouth). Then, when we shouted "Ah-choo! He had to shake the cup up and down. The germs flew everywhere! He then put his hand over the cup to and we "Ah-chooed" and shook the cup again. The germs were contained. He's covered his mouth much more consistently since that activity! The pictures below show that activity.:D Our poem was "The Prayer Perfect" which tied in so well with the prayerful way the Pilgrims sought God for help in crises. In our devotions, we learned about the Holy Spirit and how He brings comfort in times of trouble - again a perfect tie-in to the Pilgrims. We also learned about why it is so cold in the winter by doing a science experiment with the globe and a flashlight - we even re-enacted for my dh at supper because he wanted it explained too. We reviewed our Bible verses this week and sang them along with Steve Green too. Riley remembered them all! :D He also made a map of Plymouth complete with a Key; he was so proud.

The spelling is going really well now, as well as his copying of the poem. He does a little a day and then decorates it at the end of the week with little pictures. He's going to have a neat poetry notebook when he's done. Riley especially loves his math, which brings me to the next picture. This was a fun activity. I wrote down the total number of counters in 2 covered cups - i.e. 15. Then, I told him how many counters were in one of the covered cups - i.e. 7. Then, he had to guess how many would be in the other covered cup - i.e. 8. He LOVED this activity and played it over and over again. He had his math review this week and did well overall - he still needs his counters for larger addition and subtraction problems, but I know that will come over time. We had a great week!
ImageImage

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:38 pm

We are doing Beyond and had such a blast learning about the Dutch bringing cows to the New World and had fun playing the game where my ds was to watch the cows on the little island and I was to move them away. Of course he was much faster than I was and all the cows stayed nicely where they belonged.
The other thing that we so enjoyed was having our own dairy farm for science. We made curds and whey and also homemade vanilla ice cream, with chocolate syrup. Can I say it was a succes!
We wrote the memory verse to share with a friend who came in today from the mission field. Matthew 25:21
His master said to him:"Well done good and faithful servant, you have been faithful with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things, enter into the joy of your Master". She was so incredibly blessed, because they had just been through some difficult times on the mission field.
The little history activity with the coins was much well received and we turned it into a quick math review and enjoyed the visual.
We are still playing catch up from switching to Prim. Mathematics from MUS Alpha, once we get through subtraction we'll be well on our way.
This week we had a very cute activity for story time for our Fantasy book we are reading. We are reading Abeka's Pilgrim's Progress and it's been very enlightening to see how my ds picks up on the parts that our Lord plays in the story. Anyway, we had to make 4 rectangles down the side with 4 names of characters of the days reading and than an arrow with a circle to become the mood of the person.
He had fun portraying the face of Jesus and the 3 other characters.
Ds is doing great with reading and he just thrives on reading books to his siblings, to Dad and to 'Opa' (my dad) who is visiting from HOLLAND at the moment. Handwriting is getting much better and I am well pleased.
Most of all Dad is well pleased with the progress he notices!
On to Unit 16 we go next week.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:37 pm

This is so cool to have a thread where everyone can post about their week!! :D I have loved reading about all of your weeks and I definetely have a lot to look forward to. It's especially nice to see all the great pictures.

Here is a link to my blog to hear about our FIRST WEEK WITH LHFHG!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/adventure/668505/
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:04 am

Sam - I loved the pics of spiderman - his castle with his patriotic flag looked great! He is doing great with his math. I'm amazed he picked up on the 5 + 5; 50 + 50 connection. :D It sounds like his reading and writing skills are growing and growing - slow and steady wins the race! I remember chanting that very phrase in my head when my ds's were beginning to learn to read and write. I think it is a test of patience the Lord gave me, but it was well worth the wait. :wink:

Moedertje - Making curds and whey and ice cream - what fun! :D I bet they loved that and made a lot of connections with the dairy farm. The game you described at the beginning reminded me of how glad I am that this kind of dramatic play is in HOD. I have to confess that I would not do that on my own, and when activities like that are in the plans, they are always my ds's favorites. :D I bet your missionary guest did love that gift - very thoughtful; and to think God had that bit of encouragement planned for her way back before your ds started writing that verse. Give Opa a hug - how fun to have him there! My great, great grandparents came from Holland - we just saw a picture of the ship they came to America on - neat to have family roots.

Laurie - Odessa did GREAT with her first week of LHFHG! Her picture of the cross was done so well, and I'm very impressed she could answer the questions at the end of the section in her Little Pilgrims book!!! Oh did we work on that for awhile last year - that is worth a big WOO HOO! :D I especially enjoyed the picture of Sophie being the sun, and Odessa with the globe going around the sun, singing Happy B-day to the earth. That was too cute. I'm so glad Odessa enjoyed the rhymes - that was a huge hit at our house too. I am celebrating a great first week with you and your little Odessa today! Good job, mom, and good job Odessa! :D

In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Oh how I am loving all of your WIR's!

Julie, I like how you did the separate post for each manuel. That makes it easier for me to see the big picture. You do such a good job with your pictures and story telling.

Moedertje, we are on the exact same week! Except now I'm behind. My oldest son had to emcee our counties homeschool talent show and it took a lot of prep time so we just did HALF of week 16.

Polla_la, spidermansmum- Off to visit your blogs..., (excited smile)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Moedertje .I bet your icecream tasted wonderful.Its lovely to read how much you are enjoying Bigger-that encourages me for next year.
Laurie .I loved seeing your blog-It brought back many happy memories of our first week of HOD and Little Hands.
Julie-I will keep telling myself slow and steady wins the race.
Mamamary -Ive already had a look on your blog-I like reading about other homeschoolers live.That Talent show looked like alot of fun
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:19 pm

I'll have to come back later tonight or tomorrow morning to read everyone else's posts, but I wanted to put up mine:
http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... eek-3.html

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 am

Dustybug wrote:I'll have to come back later tonight or tomorrow morning to read everyone else's posts, but I wanted to put up mine:

Dusty- I love the look of your blog - it is so pretty - I think I need some stationary that looks like that. :D Your dd's number book was cute, and so was her painting. It looks like you had a great week! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:45 pm

my3sons wrote:
Dustybug wrote:I'll have to come back later tonight or tomorrow morning to read everyone else's posts, but I wanted to put up mine:

Dusty- I love the look of your blog - it is so pretty - I think I need some stationary that looks like that. :D Your dd's number book was cute, and so was her painting. It looks like you had a great week! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Thank you! I love scrapbook-type designs, and when I saw that blog design, I loved it!
Dusty
Mommy to

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Julie---I love the idea of a Medieval feast! When our kids get older, that is something I will have to keep in mind. It touched my heart that you said Wyatt will turn to the Bible to look up things. Just a sign that you are doing a wonderful job! :D Maybe I should try that "germ" activity with my husband to get him to cover his mouth? lol :lol:

Sam--LOVE the archaeological dig! I bet he had a ton of fun doing that!

Laurie--Your first week looks like it was a hit!

Moedertje--You made curds and whey? That's awesome! I bet your missionary friend was really truly blessed by your DS!
Dusty
Mommy to

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Ladies,

I loved reading about all of your weeks! How fun! :D Laurie - I'm so glad to see your great start to LHFHG with Odessa. Many more fun days to go! I have a little gal who's 4, too. (She'll be 5 in May! :shock: Time does fly. We'll be joining you in LHFHG in August. :wink: )

Allison and Garret had another fun week with LHTH. This 1st activity I have a picture of was their favorite of the week, I think. They were pretending to be the whale spitting Jonah onto the beach...really throwing socks at a clothes basket :wink: , and yelling "Jonah, go to Ninevah!" They played this for a l--o--n--g time!
ImageImage

They also had fun making their animals obey what I told them to do. (Like the people in Ninevah obeyed the message Jonah brought from the Lord.)

We wrapped up the letter "P" by making some in chocolate syrup (yummy! :D ), and gluing popcorn on it.
ImageImageImage

We started our review unit last week. I have to say that I LOVE the end of the rhyme these weeks. It says...
Just like the others,
God has plans for you, too.
Never forget
What God can do!
We've said it enough times through the year, that the kids really remember it. And, what a great message for them to have stuck in their little heads!!! :D

We're learning about Daniel now. Here they got some food. (I gave them a notecard with a number on it and they were to get that many pieces of food.) Then they said, "No, take it away," like Daniel did with the King's food.
ImageImage

They loved the story about the hand writing on the wall. They also had fun "being" that hand writing in cornmeal. (Notice Garret's favorite letter to write is "O". :D He says that's the one he's really good at. :wink: )
ImageImage

A very happy homeschooling mama!
:D Kathleen
(Who's now typing really fast because the pounding on the house is now on the walls of her sleeping children's bedrooms...quiet time is fleeting!)
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:54 pm

I decided to start another post to talk about Bigger with Grant. We decided that we want to finish in May...so for 3 Saturdays in March and 2 in April, we're doing school to squeeze it in. Since we're ahead in math, we skip that. And, we skip copywork. And, I let him take the day of from piano and violin practice. So, really I think he's noticed that he doesn't have to put in any more work than a regular Saturday. :wink:

We read about John Audubon in history this week. We have grown to really love learning about him. Grant's favorite story was about him helping hunt the panther. Yikes! :shock: But, if it was my backyard and animals (or CHILDREN) that were in danger...I'd cheer on that group of hunters!! :D The stories about the men who were such good shots were also inspiring to my aspiring hunter. :wink: He was incredibly good with the rolled up socks and being able to nail the hat I threw up in the air. (Even when I made him go clear across the room!) However...the candle 100 paces away was totally safe. :lol: Here we are in front of our house where Grant is attempting to snuff the candle (trim its wick WITHOUT putting the flame out). (For the activity we pretended..again with rolled up socks and no flame. The candle is on the porch!) Grant expertly noticed that the wind we had would affect a small, fast-moving bullet less that a rolled-up pair of socks.
ImageImage

We moved on then to reading about Printers, Poets, and Authors. Here Grant is setting type like Horrace Greeley.
ImageImage

He thought our science experiment demonstarting how an air pocket keeps things dry was cool. Here he in putting the glass straight into the water, and noticing that the napkin stays dry!
ImageImage

Grant also really liked his math lesson where he got to make a bar graph of snacks. :D :wink:
ImageImage

:D Kathleen
(One nap done...but one still down. :D And, there's siding going on the house!! I will not complain even though nap time is the ONLY time to work on it. :roll: )
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH