Week In Review 9-19-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Jessi

Week In Review 9-19-08

Post by Jessi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:46 pm

This has been a difficult but rewarding week. What doesn't crush us only makes us stronger. We have finally started doing school work again with LHTH as well as using 100 Easy Lessons and a K math workbook to supplement. We are finishing up week 10.

Emma and her friend loved making cracker walls for Jericho and adding the red rope for Rahab. Personally I think they liked eating the leftover crackers the most...

In our lesson about how the Ark of the Covenant was carried across the river we used bean bags as the ark and had a blast balancing it in various ways to get across the dry path (aka a line of masking tape). We balanced on our heads, feet, shoulders, hands, between the knees (a personal favorite as it had them laughing so hard they couldn't do it for too long), and under the chin. Logan LOVED being in on this activity. I kept having to tell him to move to let others have a turn.

Today we built the walls of Jericho with blocks and then I told Emma to walk around it seven times and on the seventh time she was to yell and knock it over. She walked around it once and then kicked it to smithereens. Oh well. She sort of got the idea. Can you see her dad in the side of the picture looking at her like she's a hooligan? LOL He wasn't expecting her to go all crazy.

Emma and the older girls in my day care enjoyed the Bible story about Rahab helping the spies escape. I have great pics of them acting out the story for well over 20 minutes straight, taking turns. But as the other girls are in the pics and I couldn't hide their faces, I won't be able to post them.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

crlacey

Re: Week In Review 9-19-08

Post by crlacey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:29 am

Jessi, sounds like a good week!

We started back in full blast this week. (We had taken the last 2 or so weeks off due to travel and sickness.) And Katie is doing well. We're trying to find our rhythm again, so the first few days were tougher. This week we finished talking about Jesus's birth in LHFHG and then moved on to The first miracle and yesterday was Peter's fishing experience where we learned about fish. Katie is reviewing past verses this week and is doing great with that. Her reading is really coming along great and she sits on the couch after school time and is adding. We've recently added a study of animals around the world and she is loving it. She has a notebook where she draws and has me note her favorite thing she's learned. The best part is that Andy has been listening in a lot more recently. So when we watched a sunset the other night, I asked Andy do you know who made that beautiful sunset for us and his answer, "God did!" I love that even he is picking up on some of the Bible we're doing!
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:09 am

We have had a great week Beyond Unit 6. It has been a little challenging to complete everything in 4 days but it is so worth it to have a 3 day weekend!
Visit our blog for an awesome Scrub Day in Holland picture! http://escuelitaaparicio.blogspot.com/2 ... b-day.html
Dorla

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 pm

We are enjoying HOD very much at our house!
My active boys all really love Rhymes in Motion and they are really helping to cement the Bible stories.
I caught my oldest sneaking a peak in the other history book by Eggleston! I told him to put it back on the shelf... we were saving it. At which point he said, "Mom, there is a story in here about George Rogers Clark!" He browsed enough to discover that tidbit! We really enjoyed our time reading George Rogers Clark. Our family loves to read aloud- so I move ahead in the storytime at our own pace. We started another biography: my son's pick- Davy Crockett. All my boys are enjoying this one too. I am thinking of scanning my son's favorite illustration in George Roger's Clark and then writing down a short narration he dictates to me about the book or his favorite part. Then we will add it to his notebook. I think this will really add to our enjoyment as we look back over our year.

My kindergartener continues to do well in LHFHG. My daughter and son had fun "writing" numbers in baggies filled with dishsoap this week.

Pressing on...pressing in,
Rebecca

P.S. sometimes I have trouble controlling the silliness that can erupt. This occurred this week while trying to orchestrate the sock toss into a box for bible memory: any of you wise ladies have any tips? Thank you!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:42 am

I loved all these updates. Dorla, great idea with scrubbing the bike! Jessi, I pray all is going well. I'm so sorry that you've been going through a hard time. (((Warm Embrace)))
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

wdworkman

Post by wdworkman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:48 am

We were working at half speed this week -- Luke had a bad head cold. In between cold medicine induced naps, we were able to finish our Cave Painting & get the first two days of Unit 4 done. Luke started reading The Mayflower Adventure for his DITHOR historical fiction. So far, he really seems to be enjoying it. I may try to get some more books from that series for our fun reading.
We managed to get well enough for a field trip to the City Museum on Friday; but, as I'm typing now, I can hear Luke coughing & sneezing in the next room so I don't know if we'll be back to normal schedule tomorrow. You can see our photos here: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

Happy last day of Summer!
Janet

wdworkman

Post by wdworkman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:57 am

P.S. sometimes I have trouble controlling the silliness that can erupt. This occurred this week while trying to orchestrate the sock toss into a box for bible memory: any of you wise ladies have any tips? Thank you!
I know it's not much help now, but those silly days do dwindle as they get older. Now it's my 15 yo that's totally embarrassed by her silly parents.

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:11 am

Once again we got though only 4 days of Bigger this week. :/ I had planned on 5 days, but then on Thursday evening my husband invited another HS family over on Sunday afternoon. Ack! Guys just don't get that women need to have their house clean and need to cook for it!! So instead on Friday/Sat we did Home Ec....as in cleaning/organizing the house & cooking. We did have a blast with them on Sunday though (they have 7 kids plus another on the way). I was also showing her our HOD books and how easy they are to use. :)

My girl's favorite activity this week was the science experiment (digging seeds out of sand using different items to see what bird beaks work best for the different seeds).

----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)