Week in Review 8-22-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Kathleen

Week in Review 8-22-08

Post by Kathleen » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:55 pm

Ok Girls :wink: ,

:D :D What was YOUR week Like? :D :D

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Re: Week in Review 8-22-08

Post by Kathleen » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:55 pm

This is a double-review for me because I didn't get our adventures posted last week. So...here goes... :wink: (This may get a little long. :D :roll: )

I've been having a ton of fun doing LHTH with Alli and Garret! They're really enjoying the Bible stories and talk about them throughout the day. Garret was telling Daddy about the BIG BOAT at lunch time, and Daddy asked who built it. He said, "Ummm, Owen." (Owen is his newest cousin...and if you switch the "O" and the "N" sound, really pretty close to Noah...for a 2 yo.) He's really enjoying getting to talk about what he's doing to Daddy just like big brother and sister. :D

We LOVE the finger plays!! The kids do them all the time. Actually last week while I was teaching piano lessons, Allison and Garret sold one of the moms on using LHTH with her 4 yo by teaching her their finger plays. 8) She wanted to do something that fun with her 4 yo!

I've taken some fun pictures of our letter activities and art projects. Of course these are a hit, too! :D
Fun with "B"...
ImageImage

ImageImage

Making a rainbow...
ImageImage

And of course, who doesn't love active explroation??? We have had a great time acting like every animal we can think of (which is really good exercise by the way :wink: ). Our favorite this week was the Float/Sink experiment!!
ImageImage

Here are our results...

And things got a little carried away while they contiued to play with water during Grant's school time...

But, I got a clean kitchen floor! :wink:
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:38 pm

And while the little 2 were creating their own ocean on the kitchen floor, Grant and I enjoyed all kinds of "beach" experiments in our Bigger science. He said that his favorite experiment this week was the one on different bird beaks because it was a lot of fun looking for things in the "sand" and getting them out. :D

Making waves...

Experimenting with different "beaks"...
ImageImageImage

Which helps objects float better - fresh water or saltwater?
ImageImage
(This was my personal favorite. I've really never thought about why salt water would make things float better. :roll: I'm learning, too.)
I love the way the science that we've done so far really encourages scientific thinking and leads them to test their "guesses".

We have still been enjoying the history readings, and Grant loves the activities that go with them!! Here he put the "continents" and "oceans" in their places on a ball.

We didn't get any pictures of our "lunar eclipse" because it was too dark :lol: , but he liked renacting that one days after we'd done it!

Here he is making his compass on the floor.
ImageImage

HOD has been great for me as a teacher in many ways...one of which is these great activities that I've shown pictures of. While I'm sure that I could have come up with something to do sometimes to add a little variety to our learning...I didn't. I LOVE the simple, meaningful, FUN activities and experiments!!! :D :D My son does, too! This is something that I always skipped prior to HOD because it was too time-consuming or I didn't have what I needed. Thank you Carrie!! :D

When we 1st started Bigger, Grant was doing some major dawdling with the things he needed to write, which I expected could happen with him. We've been getting into our groove and he knows what's expected of him and things are clipping along much better. (I actually think he has to write less this year than last as we were using some things that overdo it.) Anyway, one of the things that I decided to try was letting him write the short portion of R&S that he writes on a whiteboard. It did wonders!! (Not sure why, but he loves it!)

We are continuing to love the content of the Bible protion of Bigger focusing on character and memorizing Proverbs. But this week I have to comment on the physical activity suggested during the memory work time. :D I've been joining Grant and getting up and moving with him while he does the jumping jacks or toe touches or arm circles or PUSHUPS. Sure, I could just watch him...but I don't want to be a "marshmallow Mommy"...and there's really no reason I shouldn't get that little bit of exercise...if I expect him to do it I should be willing, right? For the last month I've been back into running 4 miles early in the mornings...well "running" would be a stretch, but I'm pretty sure it's faster than walking! :roll: So, I figured on Tuesday when we did 5 sets of 5 pushups between saying our verse with actions, it would be no problem. I found out my "pushup muscles" are not in shape!! :shock: Guess you don't use them carrying laundry baskets or hauling around a 38 lb 2 yo! I'm really having a lot of fun actively learning with the kids!! (At least once the soreness wears off... :lol: )
ImageImage

I just have to share one last highlight... We've been reading George Rogers Clark for storytime during breakfast. This book is such a perfect fit for our family! We are a family that loves hunting, so we've really been able to relate to George shooting his first deer. George got his own knife...Grant has been asking for a knife for at least a year, and we're holding off on it and have been telling him that his demonstrating responsibility is going to be one of the main things we consider for that privilege. And, guess what character trait we've been studying in storytime? Yep, responsibility! George's family was also told to be careful in the woods as a neighbor spotted a panther and came to warn them. Last Wednesday, our neighbor that has cattle in the pasture behind our house came to let us know that he'd just lost a calf. There are a lot of coyotes around...but he was pretty sure from the injuries there that this was a cougar. :shock: So, we're being a little more cautious about letting Grant roam the pasture alone...which he loved to do.

We're looking forward to many more fun adventures on our Bigger journey!!
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Here is a link to my blog with our week in review. :D

Gina

http://beandipblog.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... ew_22.html
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

blt10Xblessed

Post by blt10Xblessed » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:31 am

Oh WOW!!!! This all looks like too much fun!! :) Finally I am so excited to get back into what homeschooling can be - can't wait to get some supplies and get started!! Thanks for sharing your pics :)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Kathleen-I really enjoyed reading your posts! You make Bigger and LHTH look like so much fun!! It's really making me want to go ahead and start LHTH with my 2 yo, but I'm trying to hold off until he's at least 3, maybe 3 1/2. What a great week!

We were taking our first break this week. We had gone 12 weeks without one so I thought it was time for one, although I wish I'd waited and we'd taken our break during ps's first week back (next week) because the parks are so nice with fewer kiddos there. :lol: But I'm ready to get going again next week! I've really missed it, although my house is really looking nice (that, along with playing more with the kids, was my goal for this past week!)
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Kathleen and Gina,

I loved reading your blogs and seeing the pictures of your sweet kiddos. You both are making such excellent progress and wonderful memories! I love those smiling little faces!

Kathleen, I had to laugh at the pics of you doing push-ups! I had a very similar experience when trying to do push-ups last year with kiddos (just to demostrate to them the best way to do them supposedly). :lol: It wasn't pretty!

Amazing that you are running 4 miles though, kuddos to you on that! I am completely out of shape! :oops:

Blessings,
Carrie

slavila

Post by slavila » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:52 pm

This past week we did Unit 3 in LHTH and BLHFHG.

Our week wasn't too exciting; we had a few distractions keeping as from our regular schedule.

Here is a link:
http://theavilas.blogspot.com/2008/08/s ... eek-3.html
Sarah, Mom of 4.....
ds 6 -
ds 4
dd 2
dd 6 months

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Sarah - I thought your week sounded great!! :D I guess the flexibility of hsing is one of the things I love most about it for my family! We haven't had any "distraction-free" weeks here yet...but some are much more distracted than others. :wink: I LOVED the B-I-G puffy "C"! That was too cute! I hope you had a fun camping trip.

Gina - I love reading about your progress. When I think of you, I always think of a steady, faithful mom who really loves the chance to teach her kids! Thanks for your example! :D

Ashley - You will love LHTH when you get to it with your ds! :D While surprisingly, Garret is joining in on quite a bit with us, he doesn't pay attention to everything and spends a good share of time roaming. It'll be perfect with a 3 or 3 1/2 yo. My dd is the one who is really getting it at 4! :D (And, it's my plan now to do LHTH with Garret when he's 4...I'm sure that's subject to change though! :wink: )

Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

tre-planted

Post by tre-planted » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi there! Well, we're starting week 3 here. My littlest, DD is 3 doing LHTH and my DS who's 6 is doing BLHFHG. They both love it! You can see our week in review and pics of our projects at our homeschool blog, http://trainingtheheart.homeschooljournal.net/ My DD love the Letter and Number activities. She worked on A and the number 1. She loved the song, "God Made the Universe". My DS enjoyed his projects too. He got to do his math on the dry erase board, and acted like he was the teacher. So cute. I am so happy to see that my kids are enjoying school! I love this curriculum and hope to continue in the years to come. HOD makes it so easy all around and it was easy for us to get right back into the swing of things after having 2 months off.

Love reading how everyone's week went and enjoy the pics. Looks like everyone is having fun! Again, feel free to check out our blog for our week in review too.
God Bless,
Tre http://trainingtheheart.homeschooljournal.net/
Tre-Planted
?Deuteronomy 6:5-7 ?Love the Lord your God with all your Heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children.?

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:40 pm

I finally got my update on my blog for the past week. We just finished Unit 2. Here' s the link http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... nit-3.html
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:10 am

Well we finally are getting into the swing of this homeschoolin lark :D .We did week 4 of LHFHG and he loved following the torchlight.Weve raced ahead a bit on Reddy fox,just because he couldnt bear not knowing if Reddy Fox escaped Farmer Browns Boy.We have picked explode the Code as our Phonic progam and Jolly Phonics-an odd combination I know but it works for us.Im thrilled,so thrilled that DS is reading.Its so cute to watch him pointing toeach word-sounding out each letter.And talking of writting we are making huge strides the too,now each letter is formed correctly.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

2littleblessings

Post by 2littleblessings » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 am

This is my first time here at the HOD message board. We are first time homeschoolers this year, and we're definitely starting off right with HOD. My 5yo dd is loving LHFHG for kindergarten, although she wants more each day! Our first week went great. We altered the Art project on day 2 a bit and made "Stained Glass windows" on tracing paper instead of making a collage with construction paper. (DD is really into markers right now, not so much into glue.) My 1 1/2 yo ds tried to join in on our fun, too! They both love the rhyme. We've been stomping all the way to Africa all week.
Loving our third year of HOD
DD - 7, doing BHFHG, DITHOR 3
DS - 3.75, making trouble

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Kathleen what GREAT pictures. I had the dumbest smile on my face as I went through your week in review.

I loved all the blogs. God is so good...., Look at all these little soldiers, Christ is filling with Godly wisdom and knowledge. I enjoyed reading the moms post who was having her first week. You are doing such a wonderful job and your excitement is CONTAGIOUS! :D :lol: :wink:

In HIS Love,
Mary, whose so excited to be home and doing HOD! :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/