Week in Review 8-8-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Jen in Va

Re: Week in Review 8-8-08

Post by Jen in Va » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Laurie,
Have things gotten any better? My 5yo will do this every once in a while, too. Usually after a break from school. Like you, we've been doing school a couple of times a week throughout the summer. Our official start of school for the 08-09 year is tomorrow. I fear that I may be experiencing the same thing with my guy in LHFHG, too. I'd say that your home situation could have a lot to do with your son's seeming loss of skills. Last year when our oldest went to college for the first time was a huge change for our 5yo. He and his brother were best buds. Things were tense around here while our oldest prepared to head out. Even more so after we returned from taking him to school. One day the youngest got right in my face--I think he even held my face in his hands--and very seriously said, "It's time for college to be over." This year has been better in that respect. I'd continue to do school with him--maybe do the stuff he enjoys first, then throw in math or reading, then some more of the 'fun' stuff. Maybe plan a trip to a book store for a special 'back to school' book or other goodie, if it's in your budget. We're starting tomorrow and will likely make a special trip to the library as one of our first week back treats. Maybe try doing half the blocks one day, and half the next until you're back in the swing of things.

Hope things are on the upswing for you!

I'll pm this to you, as well as posting it, in case you don't recheck this topic.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:58 am

Laurie,

I somehow missed the end of this thread before! I'm so glad that Jen responded. I agree that all of the things you listed will affect your 5 year old's school day. After the "newness" of the first day wears off, the little ones (and sometimes big ones too! :lol:) realize that summer is over and they long for the "lazy days of summer" and freedom. It is kind of like going barefoot all summer, and then having to wear shoes again! It feels confining. :lol:

In addition to the end of summer "blues" you have many other things going on at your house that will most certainly affect your little one's concentration. I'd take Jen's excellent advice and ease back into it at half speed, keeping your routine in place as best as possible so that part will feel familiar and become second nature. We pray you'll be on the upswing soon!

Blessings,
Carrie

momof4

Post by momof4 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:36 pm

Jen and Carrie,
Thanks for the replies. We have had to stop completely for right now. My mom has been in the hospital since last Tuesday and I've been with her while my kids are four hours away. Thus, homeschooling has not been happening. When we start up again, we will start slow again and hopefully he will adjust to all the changes.

Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Laurie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! I'll pray for her and for you today!

Blessings,
Carrie