Week In Review April 24-28

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

jellybeanmum

Week In Review April 24-28

Post by jellybeanmum » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:34 am

I'm new, so I hope no one minds if I start the thread, but we had such a lovely week with our new curriculum I couldn't resist sharing it with like minded homeschoolers. We had a slightly rocky start to our week, but that was put to rest & we were able to get on with learning.

Here's a photo of my boy busy at work & a link to our bloggie post of our week in review.

my3sons

Re: Week In Review April 24-28

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:45 pm

jellybeanmum - Thanks for starting this thread! Anyone can always start it, and I'm so glad you did! I really enjoyed looking through your blog! Your son's notebooking pages turned out so well, and I loved seeing him enjoying reading all of those awesome books! His Shakespeare pages were turning out so well too. Was that a cockatoo I saw in one of the first pictures? Maybe I have that wrong, but whatever kind of bird it is, what fun to be homeschooling with him/her at your feet!!! :D Thanks for sharing about your first week, and I hope you have a wonderful week this week!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
Emmett has been reading about The Age of Inventions this week. He is somewhat of an entrepreneur, always dreaming up inventing this and that, and telling wild stories alongside his future inventions - so, this week was fun! He learned about the steamship, telegraph, and the locomotive. We also read about Florence Nightingale giving courage to wounded soldiers as their 'lady of the lamp,' Abraham Lincoln becoming President of the U.S. and preserving the Union, Mozart playing at the palace in Versailles, Napoleon III ruling France, and states uniting into single countries in Europe to form Germany and Italy. So much was happening at this time of history! "Preparing Hearts for His Glory" does a super job of pulling it all together to create one fluid 'story' of history! Emmett chose radar, piston, and locomotive for his 3 vocabulary cards this week, and he really took his time on the 'piston' card, as he was inspired by the picture of it in the dictionary...
Image Image

He also made a map of the Union and Confederate states during the Civil War..

In Science, he answered his 5 questions about Einstein...

In Math he had a Practice/Review...

In Bible, he added to his Common Place Book the verses he is memorizing...

He also began memorizing Keepsake Mill for poetry and wrote the first 2 stanzas...

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:31 pm

United States II High School:
Wyatt did such an amazing job of helping me out this week, as I struggled with some health issues. I am so blessed to have him for a son - he makes my life better in so many ways. After a reaction to some medication I was taking, we figured out my thyroid meds needed to be upped again. I'm so glad the blood test revealed this, as I've been super tired, and I was starting to wonder if this is just what 45 years old feels like. :shock: :D :lol: Anyway, Wyatt helped with so many things this week - cheerfully and without being asked. He also worked endlessly with my husband on yard work, as well as at his regular job for Heart of Dakota. And, he got in playtimes with his little brothers still! Anyone who is wondering if it's worth homeschooling through high school - it is!!! Wyatt has an important role in our home, and our home simply would not function without him. He is always there to pitch in, without being asked, and he does it with a smile. He actually loves his life, even when it's crazy busy like it has been! I can often hear him laughing with his brothers, enjoying talking through house jobs/chores/outdoor work with my husband, and patiently working through homeschooling/work responsibilities happily with me. Thank you, Lord, this week for my Wyatt!!! Ok, back to homeschooling, here are some pictures of Wyatt from this week...
Finance...

Our Created Moon in Science...
Image Image Image

USII History Notebooking...
Image ImageImage

Living Library Triple-Entry Journal...
ImageImage

Math Help College Algebra...
Image Image ImageImage

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels:
This week Riley has been learning about the end of the Cold War, the Challenger disaster, and the fall of Communism. He learned about one of my favorite presidents - Ronald Reagan. This is such a good time to do a President Study, and it has been interesting to discuss each of these amazing men who have led our country by being President. All are different, but all God appointed, and as such, we pray for them all knowing God is sovereign and chose them for their positions with the good of His plan in mind. Here are some pictures from this week...

Nature Journal:
Image Image

Evolution: The Grand Experiment:
Image Image

Quest: Faith at Work Bible Study:

Write with the Best Prewriting Activity:

Geography:
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:51 pm

What a full & lovely week you had Julie. I'm so sorry you weren't well, thryoid tired is crazy isn't it? I just had mine retested & I failed the test so badly the look on the lady's face made me realise I wasn't going insane. ;) The little bird in the photo is a cockatiel, we have 2. Archimedes {pictures} & Dobby. We're not sure if Archimedes is a boy or girl yet, but Dobby sings the song of a female so we're pretty sure she's a she. Dobby was purchased by the children's American Grandma for Jayden's Christmas a few years back.

Our boy was so enthusiastic & curious about birds we found him out front attempting to catch a little blackbird, which he did & received a nip for. Grandma asked if we'd mind if she bought him a real bird for Christmas instead. ;) The birds were hand reared so they are incredibly friendly, but Archimedes is a true handful. He likes to perch beside anyone who is reading a book as though he's having a good listen, & if you stop he will throw a bit of a tantrum. :P

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 am

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Thu May 04, 2017 4:47 am

Oh Tara, your boys drawings are always so so sweet to see! I really love them!

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank you so much! I love seeing everyone else's pictures too :)