Week in Review: March 20-24, 2017

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

lissiejo

Week in Review: March 20-24, 2017

Post by lissiejo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

lissiejo

Re: Week in Review: March 20-24, 2017

Post by lissiejo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Good week! Uneventful week :) These are the best!

Bigger - Unit 2
CTC - Unit 8
Res to Ref - Unit 27

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspo ... 20-25.html
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:48 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
We've been reading about many different explorers and their grand (and sometimes not so grand) adventures. Emmett made a note booking entry about Marco Polo using his Child's History of the World history book as a reference. As you can see by reading this portion of copywork, this history is fascinating!

For science, Emmett did an experiment to learn how sponges are able to get their food out of water by using a filtration type system. He also did another experiment (as we are doing 5 days worth of plans each week) about salt water being heavier than fresh water. He LOVES science and looks forward to it each day, often telling his brothers all about what he learned. The living books he is reading for science have been wonderful! Columbus was a favorite, with its beautiful pictures and narrative style. Emmett also used a water bottle with blue food coloring and various sizes of brightly colored buttons to show how a waterspout draws in objects into its circular motion and dredges them up from the bottom of the sea even. Finally, he answered 5 comprehension questions from his science reading as well...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

In math Emmett has been learning about fractions as parts of a whole. The easy hands-on activities planned in the Singapore Textbook for this have made this concept easy to understand...
Image Image

Emmett did a written narration about the Aztecs. I actually had to cut him off at 5 sentences! What progress from the difficulty with 1-3 sentences at the start of the year!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels:
Riley learned about John F Kennedy this week and read of his brief presidency and assassination. The President's Study resources have been fascinating. The DVD and the book work together as two excellent resources for the research he completes on each president. The President Notebook is a beautiful keepsake of what he has learned about each president. I like that he can choose his own researched facts to share, while still working inside the structure of certain facts that must be shared. He also listened to JFK's speech online, read his speech in Book of Great American Speeches, and copied a portion of it in his Student Notebook. Meanwhile, he read more about the broad backdrop of what was going on in history in All American History and in Great Events in American History. These kind of connections really help Riley remember history in a more meaningful way...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Riley continues to enjoy his readings in Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?, and add to his Economic Principles...

The Storytime readings remain one of Riley's favorite parts of school. The books are simply wonderful! The Bookmark prompts keep the follow-up short yet meaningful, and as Charlotte Mason would say, 'they don't get between the child and the book'...
Image Image

In Science Riley has been learning about how heredity works...
Image Image

His State Study and Nature Journal keep growing and are still a favorite part of the day as well...
Image Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:49 pm

U.S. History II High School:
Wyatt completed Unit 2 and began Unit 3 this week. We had such a good week! I am loving correcting his work with him each week. Yes, you read that right. I know, shocking, right?!? It is really just downright fun and pretty fascinating to correct his work! We do it together, with him either reading his answers to me while I look at the answer key or with him reading the answer key to me while I look at his work. We actually love this sharing time! If the answers are specific (i.e. from disciplinary subjects like grammar or science or have an exact answer key for multiple choice, Bible Scripture analysis, etc. type problems), he reads the answers from the answer key while I correct his work. If the work is more open-ended, opinion based, or just more inspirational (i.e. written narrations, critical thinking questions, comprehension questions,Brit Lit questions, triple-entry journal, etc.), he reads his work aloud while I listen with the USII manual open to check off each thing he should have done and with any answer keys open on my lap. We have 2 sessions like this each day, one in the morning, and one more at the end, and we both enjoy it! We love our discussions in Finance and in the Created for Work's devotional topics as well. This is the perfect balance of my son having needed independence, but my having wonderful interaction with him on each and every subject every day!

One of the assignments he read aloud to me was his assignment about A.T. Pierson. He was inspired by him! He also was deeply interested in the difficult questions the critical thinking assignments brought up. Weighing key decisions in U.S. history has been fascinating to him already, and it will be a special part of this year that truly makes Wyatt think about the difficult decisions that must be made. It makes us mindful of the difficult decisions our country faces now, and how difficult it is for our president, along with the rest of our government leaders' positions, to feel the weight of the world upon their shoulders...
Image Image Image

He completed a typed narration about Grover Cleveland as well..
Image Image

Wyatt is moving along in College Algebra...

Wyatt is a numbers guy, so no surprise he is really into both the Economics and the Personal Finance courses this year. I like the goals he is making based on these studies - very mature and future-focused...
Image Image Image

We love the astronomy study! So captivating!
Image ImageImage ImageImage

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 am

I always love seeing all your pictures Julie! Thank you for sharing them each week. It looks like we are close to where you are in MtMM :)

CtC Unit 28 - http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/03/week ... it-28.html
MtMM Unit 28 - http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/03/week ... it-28.html

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Julie,

I have enjoyed looking through your year in Preparing with Emmett. I had to chuckle to my self on the science picture where he draws a magnifying glass in his picture. My son does that too. It cracks me up inside because I always think "why draw the magnifying glass? we know you are drawing a close up picture". But I always smile and he is proud of his magnifying glass.

Thanks for sharing,
Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond