Week in Review - Oct. 31 - Nov. 4

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week in Review - Oct. 31 - Nov. 4

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week in Review - Oct. 31 - Nov. 4

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Unit 7
Reading about History
This week Emmett has been learning about Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt. It has been an exciting week! I snapped a picture of Emmett’s written narration. I’ve started editing them now, by writing corrections on the line the changes need to be made in. It is an easy system, as he writes all his narrations in a wide-lined student notebook on the right side. So, I use the left side to made editing changes…

Storytime
Tirzah is a favorite book of all of our children! Wyatt and Riley remember it well from when they did PHFHG earlier. They both volunteered to read some of it, which I took them up on, as the Tirzah readings are longer (well worth the time though). I have them read a chapter for a part of their playtime with Emmett, or during school if they are a tad ahead for the day. I do the Storytime follow-up after reading my chapter though, that is important to me as I know it has skill that will be built upon in future guides…

Rotating History
Emmett’s timeline now includes a picture of the Exodus…

History Project
Emmett made a 3-dimensional Egyptian pyramid for his history project this week. He liked shining the flashlight on it in the closet to get the appropriate shadows to trace. He also loved adding golden glitter glue to the top of his pyramid!
Image Image

Independent History Study
Emmett is improving at drawing neatly and coloring neatly for his Draw and Write Through History! This week, Moses was featured…

Poetry
We studied Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Foreign Lands” poem this week. The prewriting activity Carrie has planned always helps him make a good plan for his writing before he begins. He came up with outdoor things he would see aerially perched high above our home (the Hefty’s are farmer who farm the land around us, Julie and Channon are our neighbors, and Old 77 is the highway near our home). Then, he came up with the lines on his own, but I wrote them for him, as we were short on time that day…
Image Image Image

Bible Study
Emmett’s Common Place Book now includes more Bible verses in cursive. He needs help remembering his cursive. So much about cursive is being able to flow from letter to letter without picking up his pencil. So, to help with this, I sat near him and spelled out some of the tougher words as he wrote, saying “that’s a tall letter; that’s a short letter; remember how ‘w’ joins with that little odd mark”, etc. It really helped him, and I can see his cursive gradually improving each week…

Language Arts
In Grammar, Emmett learned to properly write contractions. I often use a markerboard during R & S English lessons to help as needed. In dictation, and writing in general, I’m trying to have Emmett make is capital letters tall, his lowercase letters short, and his words not ‘float’ but rather touch the bottom line. I’m seeing gradual improvements!
Image Image

Math Exploration
Skip counting to Bible Heroes music for the 7’s made doing the 7’s multiplication page quite easy! Singapore Math helped him understand the connection between multiplication and division so easily as well. I’m glad they teach these concepts together, as they are so inter-related. You can see the progression to large number multiplication and division with 7’s in the assignments. I often write the problems for Emmett on a markerboard, which gives him ample space to solve them…
Image Image Image Image

Science Exploration
Emmett LOVED his science experiment this week! He became a bat using his probiscus to sip nectar from a flower and cross-pollinating flowers as he flew from flower to flower. What fun! For his science comprehension questions, I’m encouraging him (expecting him really) to follow his grammar suggestion of answering a question by starting with words from the question in his answer…
Image Image Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels
Unit 7

Big brother Wyatt was hunting this week, so Riley was my big helper at home this week. He is so grown up already! He stepped into his older brother's shoes well, but we all missed Wyatt (and my husband) this week!

Reading about History…
Riley learned about Charles Tindley this week and took outlined notes upon his reading…

Storytime…
You can’t help but just love Mama in ‘Mama’s Bank Account’! She is full of surprises, and she typically gets her way (which usually ends up to be the ‘right way’) in unique witty resourceful undertakings. There is much to learn about being a Mama from Mama!

History Project…
Riley had a BLAST creating his own circus act ride this week! The ring of fire would steer me away, but otherwise – looks like fun!

President Study/State Study…
Riley State Study Notebook is filling up with lovely pictures and info about our state. We truly love where we live! So, this has been fun for Riley…

Rotating History…
Riley loves doing his timeline! He is using pens sometimes to add bright colors…

Independent History Study…
Reading Amanda Smith’s quote puts the plight of child labor/factory type work into perspective. How brave she was to speak up about it!

Nature Journal/Biblical Self-Image…
Riley is absolutely loving his Nature Journal! He copied a portion of his poem to accompany his nature drawing this week, and it turned out so well!

Bible Quiet Time…
I like to see Riley’s Bible verses written in his Common Place Book! He takes his time and writes lovely cursive – one of the only times he does so!

Language Arts…
In grammar, Riley has been learning about how active and passive voices are used based on who is receiving or doing the action. It helped for me to write the notes from the lesson on a markerboard for him to refer to. He’s also clipping along in dictation…
Image Image
In DITHOR, Emmett and Riley are creating their own mystery board game using Scripture Sleuth 3 for ideas. They chose this book because they’ve both read it and wanted to do a joint Book Project…

Math Exploration…
In math Riley is learning about the order of operations, specifically parentheses and nested parentheses…

Science Exploration…
Riley has been fascinated reading about Marie Curie and her husband Pierre. He couldn’t believe how they worked with dangerous chemicals every day that today we would not even touch! He also can’t believe the scientific discoveries they made. Here is his written narration…

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 pm

I've been blogging updates, but forgetting to post here! I'm catching up on the weeks I forgot :)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspo ... ber-4.html
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory