Week in Review - Oct. 24-28

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week in Review - Oct. 24-28

Post by my3sons » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week in Review - Oct. 24-28

Post by my3sons » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Unit 6
Reading about History
Have I mentioned lately how much Emmett ADORES the book “Grandpa’s Box”? Well, he does. He can often be seen sort of hugging it. He is starting to add a little more detail to his oral narrations, and they are gradually lengthening, staying within the guide’s parameters of numbers of sentences each week.
Image Image

Rotating History
In Geography, Emmett cross-reference the map included in Child’s History of the World and the globe. He found the similarities of the map and globe, and located similar locations on both. He also pointed to and named all of the oceans…

History Project
Emmett loved making and painting his crook for one of his history projects this week, and for the other history project, yum! Emmett made honey pastries, similar to the kind the Egyptians were known for making, and they were GOOOOOOOD! All of the boys loved them, and Emmett decided to note where to find it in his guide so he can make them again…
Image Image Image Image

Independent History Study
Emmett has been learning about the Israelites in Egypt this week in Grandpa’s Box. He also read about Egyptians’ belief in many gods rather than just the one true living God that we believe in. He learned the Sphinx was a statue that was part man/part lion, and that the Sphinx was thought to be the guardian of the Egyptian pyramids. He also learned about Joseph…
Image Image Image

Poetry
We learned about “personification” this week by studying Robert Louis Stevenson’s use of it in the poem “Summer Sun.” Emmett wrote his own descriptive paragraph, mimicking Stevenson’s style and including personification, entitled “The Moon.” On the left you can see our prewriting notes and discussion. On the right you can see our poem writing. He was supposed to rewrite it on another paper, but instead rewrote it under my lines. Following directions is something we continue to work on, but creativity? Emmett naturally oozes that.
Image Image

Bible Study
Emmett is learning multiple verses from Psalms each week. He has many helps in doing this, so he is very successful with it! The helps that help him the most are adding actions to the verses, having the verses highlighted in his own Bible and looking at those verses as he practices with his actions, learning them a few verses at a time, and singing the verses with his Lead Me to the Rock CD. There is never too much Bible memory work for me for my kiddos’ education. LOVE that the Bible is a daily, important part of school in virtually every part of the plans!

Language Arts
Emmett is learning about ‘inferences’ within his mystery genre in DITHOR this week. He did a good job on his DITHOR Student Book entry! This amount of writing would have made him practically faint a month ago. He’s come a long way this year already! I also snapped some pics of his progress in English grammar…
Image Image Image

Math Exploration
Division with remainders – yikes! He’s doing pretty well with it though! I like how Singapore stresses knowing the words ‘quotient’ and ‘remainder’ right away. Singapore also has hidden ‘review’ by combining several processes within one story problem. Here multiplication and subtraction are reviewed alongside practicing the newer skill of division…
Image Image

Science Exploration
Emmett added a caption to his Science Notebooking this week and answered questions about his OSS reading…
Image Image
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels
Unit 6

Reading about History and Independent History…
This week Riley had an oral narration that I typed. He has to go slowly for me to type what he’s saying, but I think it has actually been a help rather than a hindrance to his oral narration progress. He’s always been a fast oral narrator, pacing and throwing hand gestures as he walks. This has helped him slow down, given him time to consider his next sentence, and it has been good! I love the memorabilia included in the the MTMM History Notebooking Pages. Actual articles from the NY Times, actual photographs of people/events, etc. paint a picture words alone cannot…
Image Image Image Image Image

Storytime…
Factory Girl has been an outstanding book that Riley has read for Storytime! It describes so well, better than any dry textbook could, the bleak conditions of immigrants forced to work in the factory. This book really spoke to his heart and make him thankful for the life we live and the home we have…
History Project…

President Study/State Study…
Andrew Jackson was a spitfire with a temper! Riley loved researching him. He didn’t always say or do the right thing necessarily, but he loved this country with all his being. Riley enjoyed adding to his State Study this week too…
Image Image

Rotating History…
Riley loves making his timeline pictures each week! This week his entries were on Plessy vs. Ferguson, the Titanic sinking, and Women’s Right to Vote (which he said was his favorite picture he drew). He also made a map showing states with the harshest Jim Crow laws, as well as states that granted women the right to vote…
Image Image

Independent History Study…
Riley chose a quote to include in his history notebook. It was so sad to him. It was about an immigrant servant girl who helped the family she was working for prepare for Christmas. She realized that though there were so many gifts, there was not one for her, and she ‘went outside and spent Christmas morning and night on a flat stone in an open field, weeping as if her heart would break.’ That breaks my heart too!

Nature Journal/Biblical Self-Image…
Biblical Self-Image – the Girl and the Mirror was a powerful story we ready about self-image. Riley says he likes what he sees in the mirror – I’m so glad! I told him all the things I love about him that make him special – his sparkly blue eyes, his flat-top spikey hair, his sprinkle of freckles in all the right places, his kind of graceful yet wiry frame, his smile that lights up his face, his musical laugh – what is there that one could not love about Riley?!? I cannot imagine. This is a difficult stage – 8th grade – 13 yo. He is managing it well! I’m so thankful we homeschool, and he is in a setting where he can flourish.

Bible Quiet Time…
In Faith at Work, Riley has been studying Romans 1. It has brought up excellent discussions. I enjoy reading his prayers that he writes within his workbook too. I see a theme of thankfulness for the freedom we have in the U.S. and for the home that we have made as a family…
Image Image

Language Arts…
Riley has been using 2 resources to take notes in outline form about alligators in R & S English. What a great skill to practice! I modeled paragraphs 1-4 by writing them myself on his notebook paper, and then I assigned him paragraphs 5-8, giving him the first 2 words of each part of the outline. Then, on the second day when he did the second resource, I had him do all the notes, but still gave him the first 2 words of each line to start him off well. He also wrote notes about Thomas Paine’s Common Sense for Write with the Best Volume II…
Image Image Image

Math Exploration…
In Principles of Mathematics Book 2, Riley is learning to combine like terms with negative coefficients. It is starting to make a lot more sense now!
Image Image

Science Exploration…
Riley read his last chapter in The History of Medicine this week, and I know he thought it was special, as he titled his quiz “Last Chapter” and he wrote it in cursive. He really enjoyed this science book, and he liked taking the quizzes! Probably because he doesn’t have to in other subject areas right now. He also LOVES his chemistry experiments! I have him take pictures of them and share them with me later, as I am working with my other children on their school during his independent science…
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:31 pm

U.S. History I
Unit 21

The Election of 1828 was full of campaign slander, as men battled for the Presidency. It reminds me of this year’s election, and the role ‘slander’ has played in campaigns. I really want to know what each candidate is going to DO about the problems America is facing, and I'm glad to hear that part of the debates especially. I am 100% planning on voting! Every vote still counts!!! And what a privilege so many fought for us to have - the right to vote. I wish Wyatt could vote this year, and he does too. Anyway, Wyatt and I have had some good conversations about the role ‘slander’ has played not only in 1828, but also in 2016. Some things, it seems, never change.

U.S. History box…
Wyatt gave a talking points oral narration based on headings provided in the U.S. History box and the U.S. Notebook parts of the plans. I like that HOD suggests headings to narrate upon, without making the assignment be to narrate on every single heading suggested. In this way, Wyatt had good guidance and direction, without the creative process of orally narrating in his own style being omitted. From the provided headings, he chose 3 topics and prepared notes to refer to as he narrated upon them. He also was asked to share the political cartoon of the spoils system. The visual aids are intriguing memorabilia from history that add to the depth of the learning as well as to Wyatt’s narrations. He also completed a ‘typed narration’ about John C. Calhoun and glued it in his U.S. Notebook…
Image Image Image

History Activities box…
Critical Thinking questions from “Great Documents in U.S. History” were asked in regard to the Monroe Doctrine this week. These questions really get Wyatt thinking deeply about what he’s read. I love this facet of the history! It is teaching him to critically think and assess U.S. documents from the past, as well as better understand U.S. documents (in Government or Constitutional Literacy) of the present…

Living Library…
Jared in “The Journeyman” is brought to trial for witchcraft, but upon reading a Psalm from the Bible and having defense brought for him from his friends, Jared is acquitted and things begin looking up. Wyatt is ready for Jared to catch a break, and it looks like he finally did! In fact, he gets the girl in the end, gets along with his neighbors well, and has the happy ending, overall, we were hoping he’d have. Wyatt also began Daniel Webster this week…
Image Image

Government…
Each week Wyatt adds to his Principles of Government. He has gotten better and better at succinctly stating the important principle to be shared. He also is doing well completing his student workbook questions for government…
Image Image Image

Foreign Language… Moving right along!

Constitutional Literacy/Devotional Bible Study rotating subjects…
Wyatt researched “Hands off My Home” property rights this week. He was very interested in this, as we live in the country with few neighbors, and there is the feeling like we should be ready to defend our home sometimes if necessary. We also own guns as my husband and our sons all hunt. My husband was in the Navy for 4 years and comes from a hunting background, so he is very knowledgeable and safe with guns. He works to make sure our sons understand this too, but this study in Constitutional Literacy helped show what our rights are when it comes to our property, so we know for sure how to respond should a difficult situation ever arise…
Image Image

Bible…
Wyatt is studying some of my favorite Bible verses in Romans this week. We had a good talk about favorite Bible verses, why they are our favorites, and when we go to them…

Science with Lab…
Wyatt loved his experiment with a balloon this week and called everyone to come see it! As I sometimes miss his experiments, since I’m working with the other children on school, I have him take pictures and tell me about the experiment later…
Image Image Image [img]http://i268.photobucket.com%20[URL=http://s268.photobucket.com/user/happymomto3/media/US1/IMG_1425_zps0mq3w4h7.jpg.html]Image/albums/jj8/happymomto3/US1/th_IMG_1424_zps0dxthev9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

American Literature…
In “Rifles for Watie” Jeff falls sick with a cramping disease. As a spy, he is taken care of by his ‘enemies’ and is caught between loyalty to them and to the Union soldiers whom he is to take back secret information. As Wyatt pointed out so well, he will have to disappoint someone. As Wyatt finished this week he finished Rifles for Watie, and he had mixed feelings about the end. It ended well overall, but he wanted to be sure Jeff and Lucy were reunited and married. As often happens in war, we are not sure if that happens.
Image Image

Composition/Grammar…
R & S English has helped Wyatt to become good at organizing his thoughts in so many ways. This week, Wyatt worked on outlining, which is a skill that manifests itself in every single subject in high school, and certainly in college. I’m so glad he had the previous years of easier outlining to prepare him for the harder outlining this year! In composition, Wyatt is doing some background work for prewriting to prepare for his next writing piece…
Image Image

Algebra II…
Foerster’s Algebra II does an excellent job of teaching how to apply mathematics equations to life application word problems.

In Christ
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

sweetsimplelife

Post by sweetsimplelife » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Julie, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for these updates. I know how much of your precious time that they must take for you to put together. They are super helpful to us. We appreciate you so much! :)

Blessings to you and your family! :)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:00 pm

sweetsimplelife wrote:Julie, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for these updates. I know how much of your precious time that they must take for you to put together. They are super helpful to us. We appreciate you so much! :)

Blessings to you and your family! :)
Oh, thanks so much! I appreciate knowing they are helping someone! Thanks, sweetsimplelife! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie