Week in Review - Oct. 17-21

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week in Review - Oct. 17-21

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 am

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week in Review - Oct. 17-21

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:15 pm

United States 1 High School
Unit 20

The history theme for this week was Jackson at New Orleans, the FL Cession, and the MO Compromise. Andrew Jackson was one of Wyatt’s favorite people to read about this week. He was a fiery man with a temper, but he was able to accomplish great things. I could tell Wyatt liked reading about him by the way he gave his oral narrations. We have FL as part of the U.S. today because of Jackson’s military actions of seizing the port at Pensacola.

U.S. History box…
Wyatt gave a ‘talking points’ oral narration about the LA Purchase and Henry Clay this week. He followed the guide’s suggestions for headings, but chose the ones he liked the most and added a few of his own as well. He shared the U.S. History Atlas as a visual aid within his oral narration and taped his talking points index card in his notebook. He also gave an ‘opinion narration’ which was a written narration about his reading in “Faith of Our Fathers.” He high-lighted his opinion narrations, which makes it easy for me to see he followed the directions. I always have him read these out loud to me with pencil in hand, and he edits himself as he reads. Often times, there is little left for me to edit.

History Activities box…
Wyatt watched his American Testimony DVD and took notes on it in his U.S. History Notebook. The pictures/portraits/artwork provided in the U.S. History Notebook add so much to the connections he’s making, as they give another visual connection to what he is taking notes upon. I like that he has so many forms of media in his schooling, without him sitting in front of a computer all day. He’s learning all the skills he needs for today’s world, without being stuck staring at a screen to do so.

Living Library…
Jared in “The Journeyman” continues to struggle through harsh bitterly cold conditions. Wyatt has been able to predict some of what has happened, but he is seeing the possibility of a happy ending, which is always a favorite way for a book to end for both Wyatt and for me…

Foreign Language…
Wyatt is almost caught up in Spanish. He took a break from it when work picked up at the end of last school year, and he is now catching up.

Constitutional Literacy/Devotional Bible Study rotating subjects…
Wyatt researched due process in Supreme Court rulings this week. He also learned specifically about the Miranda Rule and commented upon its positives and negatives. He is learning so much from this course!
Image Image

Bible…
Wyatt is continuing to enjoy his New Testament study. I like this thorough trip through the New Testament, the prayer journal that is more private, the hymns that provide praise, and the Scripture memorization that is helping him commit key ‘helps’ to memory…

Science with Lab…
Chemistry has its fair share of mathematical equations to complete this year. I am thankful for the solid math background Wyatt has from Singapore Math through Foerster’s Algebra I and II. It has adequately prepared him for the mathematical portions of Chemistry…
Image Image

Composition/Grammar…
Diagramming sentences is usually the written part I assign Wyatt in R & S English 8, though at this point, I often let him choose which section he wishes to write. I then spot check the rest of the sections, which he does fairly independently on his own. He knows the material well, so I know he is doing it. Ahhh, the joy of working with an 11th grader whose had the previous training of HOD is bliss!

Algebra II…
We are thankful for the paired down problems Chandler suggests this week!
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels
Unit 5

Reading about History and Independent History…
Riley has been learning about Industrialization and Immigration in the Gilded Age this unit. He loved reading about Teddy Roosevelt, the Titanic, mail order catalog companies, Woodrow Wilson, and Andrew Jackson. He took his time on his timeline entries and was proud of them when he was done. ..
Image Image Image

Storytime…
Riley said “Factory Girl” reminded him of “Immigrant Kids”, which he read for DITHOR another year. It made him so sad to think of those young children working such long hours in deplorable conditions for little to no pay. The Worthy Words Socratic discussion about the fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Co. speech really helped him further connect with why unions fought so hard for child labor laws.

President Study/State Study…
Riley aced his State Study quiz – he is learning so much and enjoying it too!

Rotating History…
For Geography, Riley created a map of the Major Cities of Immigration using his Map Trek CD…

Nature Journal/Biblical Self-Image…
For his nature journal this week, Riley drew a tree that reminded him of in the dark hide-and-seek with his cousins. Too fun!
Image Image

Language Arts…
The series of outlining skills being taught so well and so clearly in R & S English 6 this week remind me of why I am thankful for this resource. While Riley is learning this in 8th grade, Wyatt has been reaping the benefits of knowing this skill well in 11th grade. In my opinion, R & S English is virtually irreplaceable with one resource. You’d almost have to replace it with 2 resources to teach all of the grammar/writing/speech/etc. skills it teaches.

Science Exploration…
John Hudson Tiner is one of Riley’s favorite authors for science. He is incredibly interesting and manages to write science in a very narrative way. Understanding science is a natural thing for Riley – he doesn’t get it from me. He does well on all of his quizzes with no review. This may be a field he goes into some day!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Unit 5
Reading about History
Emmett has been learning about the ancient Egyptian Civilization this week. He’s also been learning about God’s plan for Abram. How difficult it must have been for Abram to leave Ur and trust God’s plan! Emmett’s written narration was the result of him rereading a portion of our history reading, us discussing the guiding questions and taking notes, and his compiling the notes into a written narration…

Rotating History
Three vocabulary cards… derricks, mummy, and sphinx. He can find these in the dictionary now all on his own – hooray! His writing is also getting neater, his sentences better, and his pictures – well, they’re bigger and more colorful – let’s just say that.
Image Image

History Project
Bring out the goggle and the apron, Emmett’s getting serious making his air dry clay cartouche in the kitchen! He called in his brother Riley to show him that he needed and apron and goggles just like Riley does (for chemistry). Not quite the type of project that calls for goggles necessarily, but it made me smile to think he wants to be just like big brother!
Image Image

Independent History Study
Emmett learned about an Egyptian pyramid and a sarcophagus this week by reading his history book “The 5000 Year Old Puzzle.” He loves this book, and I love that he is taking on some needed independence by reading a portion of his history and his science this year. His retention is better, and he’s taking steps toward middle school independence success, which is just around the corner.
Image Image Image

Poetry
This week’s poem was entitled “A Good Play” – and if Emmett is a professional at anything – it is definitely how to have a ‘good play’! He loves to take all of the cushions and pillows off the couch and sofa and play “King of the Mountain”! So, this poetry writing assignment was a breeze (though I do wish his final writing of it was neater – letting this go as the creative process is the more important skill here)…

Language Arts
DITHOR Godly Character Trait day assignment – always such a good time to reflect on what’s been learned! Both Riley and Emmett opted to work on ‘discretion.’ They are very humble in their reflections on their weaknesses, and willing to try to change them. The fact that this is part of our ‘school’ is priceless to me. This is the kind of ‘teaching’ that impacts their entire life!

Math Exploration
Multiplying big numbers is going quite well, though we need to review the steps at the start usually! His skip counting CD has helped with fact memorization, which speeds up these lengthy larger number multiplication problems now…

Division time!

Science Exploration
In science, Emmett has been reading his OSS Cactus Desert book. He’s been adding to his science notebooking assignment as he goes. He also answered 5 questions about his reading, and we are working on answering in complete sentences and starting with leading words from the questions (not because he has to write in sentences for this assignment – I didn’t make Wyatt do that back when – but because it helps him form better answers)…
Image Image
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:13 pm

Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution