Week in Review: March 28- April 1, 2016

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

wonderfilled

Week in Review: March 28- April 1, 2016

Post by wonderfilled » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:15 am

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

wonderfilled

Re: Week in Review: March 28- April 1, 2016

Post by wonderfilled » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:21 am

It took us awhile to finish this week because of traveling and vacation, but we managed to get most of it done. It was a great week (because of the subjects being studied) to use the library for extra reading. :)

http://wonderfilleddays.com/bigger-hear ... y-unit-26/
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 am

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Creation to Christ: Unit 18

This week was full of new books. The new history reader threw G off a bit. Rather than being written with objective details, it has a storyline. I love this very CM history book but G struggled to know how to narrate it. I allowed her to do a copywork in place of the written narration as not to frustrate her. Next week, we'll practice oral narrations a bit more and, hopefully, end with a well written narration by weeks end.

Singapore 5a is going swimmingly well. G is strong in math thinking so our math lessons are quick and painless. I'm always amazed with how comfortable she is with difficult problems solving. I thank Singapore for this! I had someone ask me if I was concerned that we will only finish 5a by the end of 5th grade and I absolutely am fine with this! My goal is to finish 6b by the end of 7th so we are completely on target. :D
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
While math is a smooth subject, Dictation is not (and has never been for G). We are working steadily through Level 4 and I'm finally seeing some big jumps in her ability to visualize words. With my oldest, I was very strict and I would make her redo for a simple indentation miss or misplaced comma. She finished Level 8 while still in 7th grade. With G I am a lot more relaxed. I try not to discourage her and count something wrong if I know she's really studied and tried. If it's a big miss (like a misspelling or wrong capitalization) I definitely count it wrong but I've found with kids who aren't as natural with spelling, they can become discouraged very quickly with complete redo's. This probably isn't how C.M. would have done it, but it's what I've found works best in my home with my youngest who beats herself up with misses. :?
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:49 am

World History: Unit 3

We are working at half-pace still as we enter into the new guide. I am very pleased with how well this is going. The history portion this week has centered around Laws (Hebrews vs. Hammurabi's). This allowed for discussion and narration about the contrast between the two. We also naturally discussed how Christ came to abolish the law that led so many into a Pharisee type thinking. I brought Luke 11:46 into our discussion, "Jesus replied, 'And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them'". L struggled to see what Christ was saying here about the law and Jesus coming to free the Jews from the law so we moved over to a passage she memorized in middle school with HOD :wink:, Hebrews 11 where we discussed FAITH and how Abraham was credited with Righteousness not because he followed the law (ie. works) but because he believed and trusted in God's promises. I'm loving each opportunity we have to speak about *living out our lives for Christ* as we move through HOD.

L's biggest struggle with WH has been reading Ben Hur and answering the Literature questions. I have not read Ben Hur and I have really struggled to help her. I've decided to take a pause for a week and catch up with her in the book. I'm finding that she can narrate but not go deep with discussions because I'm not able to guide her. I am fine to do this. To keep from discouraging others, I'll add that I enjoy reading the books and really want L to get the most out of this book. She's a *literature* type of gal and I know that I need to put extra effort into teaching her in this area to prepare her for what her future holds.

Cat of Bubastes has been a good first Living Library book. It's definitely high school level and not an easy read with Henty as the author! :) Compared to Ben Hur, it's a breeze for L, though.
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG (42.29 KiB) Viewed 4749 times

Algebra 1 - We are working through Foerster's Algebra at L's pace. We feel that this text is rigorous and worth the extra time and effort. Last week I mentioned that we are stuck and had to watch Khan videos. Dh came home and quickly showed me that I had simply blanked out. It really wasn't that difficult. :( I think I was having a "bad math day" on the same day as L. Not a good combo. He taught the lesson in about 5 minutes that we had been stuck on for hours and remedied the issue. I am grateful for a husband on board with homeschooling who is willing to help me when I'm stuck! It is a blessing. He has not always been around or available but what better time than in high school for him to have the desire and time! :D This is a BIG answer to prayer.
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG (27.15 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
EIW 11 is going well. It starts out with review though my daughter had a little fun with the lesson (and as you can see, didn't follow the assignment). She is very happy to be going on a missions trip this week and definitely optimistic and happy with being homeschooled. I am not having her redo this assignment, rather I'll frame it! LOL
FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
Blessings to you all this week on your journey!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)