Week in Review: January 18-22, 2016

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

wonderfilled

Week in Review: January 18-22, 2016

Post by wonderfilled » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:18 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

wonderfilled

Re: Week in Review: January 18-22, 2016

Post by wonderfilled » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:26 am

Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
Emmett has been learning about some wonderful inventors, such as Daniel Webster, Samuel Morse, and Charles Goodyear. These men had hearts as well as great minds, and it was interesting to read how they showed character in their lives as well as brilliancy. One time, Daniel Webster saw a poor woman steal one if his loose porch boards for firewood. He followed her home and delivered firewood to her home the next day! We did a fun geography activity with a grid, where I called out coordinates, and Emmett 'followed' me by placing markers on his matching grid until he found me to give me 'firewood.' Such fun!
Image Image Image

For an art project about Samuel Morse, who painted portraits to make a living, Emmett made his own self-portrait. It was a good activity to teach him how to draw a human face in proportion too...

We've also been reading about William Cullen Bryant, who loved writing poems about creation. One of his poems was about a Bob-o-link, and Emmett had fun making a note booking page about it...
Image Image

For science, Emmett read how the pioneers would gather plants to dye their clothing special colors. He was surprised at the hard work involved in this arduous process! He enjoyed mixing his own colors and seeing them spread to make new colors...
Image Image Image Image Image

We also read about all the different ways pioneers kept time, and Emmett did a neat note booking assignment about it...
Image Image

What a great week!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:15 am

United States 1 High School:
One of my favorite components of the US1 high school guide is the inclusion of the Charlotte Mason style Living Library. While I know these books are not necessary for Wyatt to receive high school credit in US1 history, they are 'necessary' in my mind as they help US1 history come to life for him. These books are simply outstanding! They do an excellent job of coordinating alongside the US1 'spine' books, such as "America: The Last Best Hope," "Never Before in History," "Faith of Our Fathers," and "The Founding of a Nation." While the 'spine' books provide the chronological backdrop for the history, the living library books provide the deeper 'hooks' of really delving into a section of history in a way that makes you realize the difficulties, triumphs, and lesser known facts of what it would have been like to truly live through these times in history. "Forgotten Founding Fathers" has been an inspiration to Wyatt. Reading about George Whitefield's unusual way of speaking to a group by appealing to what they did for work or for earning their living and using parable-like stories shows the importance of knowing first and foremost God through the Scriptures, but secondly knowing your audience and considering how best to share Christ with them. Christ Himself used this technique through parables of fishermen, tax collectors, strife between Jews and Samaritans, stories of farmers planting seeds, and so on. This makes for an incredibly effective ministry, and the Lord blessed Whitefield's efforts with the conversion of multitudes for His kingdom. Wyatt enjoyed sharing his double-entry journal entries with me about George...
Image Image Image

In Government, Wyatt has been annotating “Whatever Happened to Justice?” and writing down a short summary of the principles of government he is learning as he reads. It is sometimes harder to be concise than it is to write multiple paragraphs. To be able to sum up a deep concept in several sentences is an outstanding skill to have. He is doing well with this now, and his list of principles is growing…

Foerster’s Alegebra II is an incredibly sound course, but Wyatt and I are both very thankful for David Chandler’s help via the flashdrive. The must-do assignments that are integral for course credit helps us focus on completing what is most important, and being able to view the solutions being worked out step-by-step by Chandler if Wyatt gets stuck on a problem is so helpful! Here is one of the problems he recently worked out…
Image Image

Wyatt is really enjoying his science with Dr. Jay Wile’s Chemistry. He finds the text clear, interesting, and narrative to read. All of the science experiments he has done previously in HOD (especially the kits and readings from MTMM and WG) and all of the math he has done previously have each prepared him beautifully for this course. He is having no trouble at all completing it successfully independently…
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie