Week In Review 7-24-08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

Re: Week In Review 7-24-08

Post by MamaMary » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 am

Janet, I loved your picture and posted on your blog, but I wanted to ask you to update me on Teaching Textbooks after you guys use it? I am very interested in this for my older boys. (THANK YOU)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:47 pm

We had a good week school wise, but I must confess that this week was just harder for us. Nothing to do with the program itself, but it rained almost all week. Short bouts of sunshine (today however is BEAUTIFUL!!!) if any. Yesterday we actually had tornadoes in the next town over from us. Thankfully only one person was killed :( , since we rarely ever see them in NH, most people are not prepared for them, so it could have been much more disasterous. So with the bad weather all week, my little ones were ansty as they didn't really get outside to play at all. My husband finally came up with the idea to cut holes in garbage bags for heads/arms as make shift ponchos and send them outside anyway (as long as there was no thunder). That helped, but the overall cabin fever definately took it's toll on all of us. :(

So now that I'm sure you are all so very glad to know all about our weather here in NH and it's effect on our schooling :oops: , here is our week in review...

Evelyn making her Egyptian collar, Joshua got to join us for this one! She actually wore it all week as we did our bible and history lessons, even during the dramatic play when she was the Egyptian princess finding baby Moses in the basket!

Here she is wearing the collar and deciding that she will keep the baby Moses she found.

Here she is doing a page of her "do it carefully" workbook and I had noticed earlier that as she concentrates, she sticks her tongue out a little so I was teasing her telling her I was going to get her tongue...she is quite the character! :lol:

These are two pages that she had as copywork from RME. These are her first two sentences that she has read all by herself!!! :D And then copied the pictures that were in the RME book to go with the sentence to color. I can't believe the improvement in her writing abilities in the few weeks we have been doing this program! When I was showing daddy last night, he thought I wrote them and she traced them, but she wrote them and then traced them with her crayon all by herself!!!

Here they are in their fancy high-cost ponchos just 'cause they are so stinkin' cute!!! The first one is Joshua getting mail with daddy (he is wearing a hat of Evelyns :oops: ...that is our driveway behind him). The next one is Evelyn of course.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

skillet04

Post by skillet04 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:05 pm

holyhart : what fun!!!

All: thanks for sharing and letting us have a glimpse of your week.

I posted ours at the weblog

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom/565599/

happy weekend!

ETA: to inlcude direct link to post ...I was just so excited to share earlier I forgot to be pacific...uh specific
Last edited by skillet04 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swylv :cry:
Praying for another child since june 2002 -- you'd cry too, even DS cries to be a big brother.
DS 07/2001 -- BLHFHG for the 08-09 year
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Ladies, thanks so much for sharing your week. Kelly- I giggled at the plastic bag ponchos. I have been there done that. You know a great way to burn off a LOT of energy on rainy or snowy days that you can't get outside? Be on the lookout for a crib mattress at yard sales. We store ours under Emma's bed. And on those days they can't get outside to run off the energry we pull that mattress out to the living room and the kids jump from the couch onto it or they run down the hall and catapult themselves into the air and land on it. I have used it for balance and coordination for Emma as I'll call out things like jump five times on one leg, now spin all the way to the end, jump sideways, etc. I highly recommend it!!!!! You'd be surprised how much air they get jumping on one of those mattresses. Kids from 12m to at least 10 LOVE it!!!

Anyhoooooooo, onto my week in review!

We are working on letter E this week. She was very discerning about which beans were acceptable to cover her Es. The split pea ones were deemed not "E worthy".

Her spider bounced along E in a grand ole fashion. She likes the interactive play with learning.

Here we have Joseph (aka Winnie the Pooh) and his ten brothers bowing down to him. Then she had each one get up and give Joseph a hug and tell him they were sorry. By the sixth one she was giggling and acting quite goofy. Oh well, the lesson was cemented in her head a little bit more at least.

This was our art project related to our Bible story. She drew the lines and painted the pyramid. I cut it out and glued it to her pic. She sprinkled sugar all over the picture to represent the sands of Egypt.

Peek-A-Boo!! Here is Joseph hiding behind the pyramid. She worked very hard on Joseph and tried to make him just like the picture in her Bible, even down to the "skirt" he wore and his long black hair.

She and I have had a great week!! I love Little Hands to Heaven.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: 7/24 Week in Review from a Newbie

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:31 pm

I'll move your post over to merge with the other weekly check-in (which is no big deal :wink:) but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your blog! I'm so glad that you are enjoying HOD! Thanks so much for sharing! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:19 am

Jessi wrote:Kelly- I giggled at the plastic bag ponchos. I have been there done that. You know a great way to burn off a LOT of energy on rainy or snowy days that you can't get outside? Be on the lookout for a crib mattress at yard sales. We store ours under Emma's bed. And on those days they can't get outside to run off the energry we pull that mattress out to the living room and the kids jump from the couch onto it or they run down the hall and catapult themselves into the air and land on it. I have used it for balance and coordination for Emma as I'll call out things like jump five times on one leg, now spin all the way to the end, jump sideways, etc. I highly recommend it!!!!! You'd be surprised how much air they get jumping on one of those mattresses. Kids from 12m to at least 10 LOVE it!!!
Jessi! That's a GREAT idea! WIsh I'd had one over the winter....now that was some cabin fever! :shock: The snow in our yard this past winter was over 3 feet high, plus the driveway seemed to always be covered with ice (rough winter here this year), so needless to say that kids didn't get that much outdoor playtime and it took it's toll then too (my kids would be outdoors all day if I let them)! Best they could do was to climb the snow banks along the sides of our driveway to slide down (they were in some spots almost as high as our house! :shock: .....they didn't climb there...would give Mama a stoke I think).

It's funny 'cause when I was telling my mom about the "ponchos", she said that when I was little and we lived in VA, the few times it snowed, she would just cover my shoes with plastic bread bags and elastic bands to send me outside. :lol: Funny what us moms will do huh?

Thanks for the mattress tip! :wink: My hubby will think I've gone nutso looking for a crib mattress, but hey, he's not home all day with them when they are like that! Except he did witness that when he came home I was a cross between...Image and Image
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:29 pm

LOL Kelly!!! Here's hoping you find a mattress before winter hits! :D

By the way, I love the Egyptian necklace project you did with the paper plates. I look forward to doing LHFHG!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:09 pm

Jessi, I LOVE those pictures. Your little girl is such a cutie patootey! You can tell that she is really enjoying herself!

Kelly, I LOVED those pictures! The garbage bags were brilliant!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/