Week in Review Sept 12 - 16, 2011

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

Tree House Academy

Re: Week in Review Sept 12 - 16, 2011

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:04 pm

We had a great week. We finished Unit 7, Day 3 in Bigger and Unit 8, Day 3 in RTR.

Bigger

Cursive is going wonderfully! He loves Cheerful Cursive and I have found that learning cursive is actually helping to make his print neater!

Here is his copywork. In comparing his handwriting even at the beginning of this year with what he is doing now, I can really see improvement! It looks better, but it is also coming to him more easily now too.

I was so afraid that math would be hard for his this week as he learned to borrow... :shock: but it wasn't! It was a seamless transition that Singapore and Carrie's activities had more than prepared him to make.

I was so proud of this notebooking page for Science this week! Neat handwriting and he worked really hard on his picture.

Our "fun projects" for the week as my ds calls them:

He got to pretend to be Benjamin West as he pained with strawberry and lemon juices.

And he made a Wigwam out of clay. First we made the clay. Then, we formed it up and tried sticking on the cereal pieces. They wouldn't attach like we wanted, so we painted it brown and then attached the cereal in the sticky paint. I think it turned out nice. :)

~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:28 pm

RTR

My older son is struggling to get into the groove this year. I have had warnings that 7th grade seems to be the crazy year for some kids...and boy, do I believe it! He has been harder than ever to discipline, has been more defiant and careless in his work, and his overall attitude just stinks sometimes. :( If anyone has some prayers to spare, we could use them on that front. :(

His writing is coming along nicely using the IEW, but, as you can see, his carelessness shows in the number of mistakes he makes in a final draft as well as the missing MLA format! I am definitely proud of the composition in general, though.

Here are some of his notebook pages from Unit 7 and Unit 8 this week. He is doing a nice job with those.

And he is doing really well with Shakespeare. I think the coloring is cathardic for him. He really works hard on that part when, truly, that is not something I would be as picky about. :roll: He is definitely my artistic child. Considering I have not one artistic bone in my body, that could explain some of our issues with one another.

This science experiment was fun! I didn't get pictures during the actual experiment, so the write-up is the best I can do. :)

~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 am

Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi friends! We are joining late but we just finished LHFHG Unit 1 and I am so excited! DD5 did it half-speed, and DH thinks she's ready for full-speed. I am just not sure I am! But I probably should just let her go. We did the earth and water project, and both DD and DS2 got everything correct. DD5 knew her scripture memory verse (Matthew 19:14) after two days. I will say that after two weeks, she is a bit tired of hearing the song over and over again.

We may just have to try full-speed and report how it goes! :)
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

rogmisbailey

Post by rogmisbailey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Here is a link to the past two weeks. We are a little behind :wink:
http://mymimishouse2.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -23rd.html
Misty
Mom to DD7, DD5, and DS1
Completed LHTH, LHFHG and working on Beyond

rogmisbailey

Post by rogmisbailey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Heidi, if your little girl is ready go for it! I had thought about holding my DD 4 (5 in Dec) back but she loves tagging along on LHFHG with her sister, and honestly seems to catch on to a lot of the things faster than her older sister. It seems wrong to hold them back when they are so eager to learn, even though I would love to keep her little just a little bit longer :wink:
Misty
Mom to DD7, DD5, and DS1
Completed LHTH, LHFHG and working on Beyond