DITHOR

If you have used "Drawn Into the Heart of Reading", please share your experience with us.
kerby

DITHOR

Post by kerby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 am

This is probably answered somewhere else but I don't have the time to research at this point. :oops:

I have 2 older boys and I thought I might do this for their reading. They are going into gr 5 + 7. Do I need to get the Guide and 2 student books? Is there a list of books for me that will help me w/ genres?

I know that Carrie has a book list which has been highly recommended. How is that set up? By genre? by age? both?

Thanks.
K

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Kerby,
To answer your questions, Yes, yes and The book list is set up buy genre and the grade is listed after the book information.

You really should get the work book for each student It really helps pull everything together.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:49 am

Ditto to what Tansy said! Our sample book list is pretty tattered. If you used Sonlight or other books before, it codes them as well, making them easy to put in the genres if you want to. Also, HOD gives you permission to copy the workbook for your personal family's use, so you could copy your Level 6/7/8 so dc doesn't write in it and you can use it again with your younger child later. However, I know some children just love to have their own workbook, so that may be a better route to go too!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Kerby,

I would most likely put your 5th grader for DITHR in level 4/5 and your 7th grader in level 6/7/8 (as long as they are reading and writing at an average to above average level for their grades).

Just to clarify for the older level, if your 7th grader is pretty independent and comfortable with doing written work, then 6/7/8 is the best placement, however, if that isn't the case, you could also put the 7th grader in Level 4/5.

The book list is divided into genre and also by grade level, so for Biography it gives 10-12 book selections for level 2/3, another 10-12 for Level 4/5, and then 10-12 more for Level 6/7/8. Then, it moves onto a new genre, like Historical Fiction.

You can also check out our book shop on our website for book ideas. If you scroll down on the following link, you'll see books divided into each of the genre's with a reading level listed for each one: http://www.heartofdakota.com/book-shop.php

Hope that helps. :)

Blessings,
Carrie

kerby

Post by kerby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks, Carrie - and Tansy.

This is what I needed to know. I am sooo glad that I can copy the workbooks! This will make it so much easier here financially! :D

Now to rethink reading again! :?

K