Written narration @ 10 years old?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

Written narration @ 10 years old?

Post by Mumkins » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:56 am

I was reading through my preparing manual and it says written narration should begin at 10 years old. If I'm doing it with an 8 year old, should he then be doing the written narration exercises orally?
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

3sweeties

Re: Written narration @ 10 years old?

Post by 3sweeties » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Well, I've been having my 8 yo/just-turned 9 yo do written narrations since October! :oops: He has really handled it very well and often writes MORE than the 3-5 sentences that are required. :wink: I will say that although the physical act of writing is not his favorite thing to do, he has EXCELLENT writing and doesn't struggle with it or anything, so that may be something to consider with your little guy. I also think that going through Bigger and getting lots of practice with all the oral narrations in it definitely got him ready for written narrations in Preparing. Don't know if that helps at all -- just our experience so far! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:23 pm

I've been wondering the same thing, so thank you for asking the question! :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Mumkins,

CM advocated kiddos beginning written narrations around age 10, after they have had fairly extensive practice with oral narrations. So that is where the general age guideline comes from. :D However, within our guides, we take baby steps toward written narrations beginning in Preparing Hearts. We include guided questioning, limit the sentence length, give sentence starters etc. to move kiddos toward the skill of written narration, no matter whether they have had a CM-style education in the past or not. :D We also continue having kiddos orally narrate, which is such an important foundation for narration and is never truly replaced, even by written narration. :D

So, with Preparing Hearts, we would say that kiddos falling within the target age range of the guide (Ages 8-10 on up) should be doing the guided written narrations as they are presented within the guide. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks Carrie! :)
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing